Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

This board was a great resource for me when looking for info on the m/96 mauser, so I thought I should report on my new purchase.

I've always been fascinated by these old rifles with their great workmanship, and being a swede they are a bit of the history of my country. I actually remember that when I was a kid in the 80:ies, my father who was at that time enlisted as a "Driftvärnsman" (Somewhat like the "hemvärn" that should be familiar to the readers of this board, but focused on specific infrastructure installations such as the telephone network etc.) he was actually issued this rifle for a time before being re-armed with an AK4 (swedish H&K G3-variant).

Anyway, about a year ago I started participating in "fältskytte", and was soon looking for a gun of my own rather than shooting with the club-rifles. Most shooters these days use the Sauer STR, but since my budget is limited, and german garbage (just kidding, the sauer is a great rifle :) doesn't appeal to me as much, I realised that I had to have a FSR89, the logical conclusion of the long line of m/96 target shooting rifles. However, these rifles are not that common anymore, even in Sweden, and many of them have been used as club rifles and as such tend to have shot out barrels and be in not so good shape.

Long story short, I was finally able to track a rifle down belonged to an older lady that had hurt her neck long ago and hadn't used to rifle for the last ten years, and this last friday I took it home.

Pictures!

According the the seller, this rifle was made by Alvar Holmgren, and it certainly appears he changed the barrel in 1996 from the markings. As the seller had owned the rifle since 1991, I trust that she knew what she was talking about. When looking at the bolt, it does not appear to have any markings and would this not be an ultra-short strike, right? The bolt was however marked with a red dot, and since the rifle has number 36, I wonder if this may have been an early one and thus not marked?

Anyway, I'm trying to compile all the info I can find about the rifle, and anything you good people here can determine from the pictures would be of interest! It feels good owning this piece of Swedish weapon history, and actually use it for its intended purpose!

Regards

Björna

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,592 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on buying a RARE Swedish FSR89 target rifle . Looks like it is in great condition . Can you take photos of the #36 on the stock & floor plate ? We will add yours to the list of known FSR89 rifles at the following thread . Read it for more info . Yours has a Busk diopter mounted on it .

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?213894-FSR89

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks swede, I have posted picures in the FSR89 thread of the numbers on the stock and the floor-plate!

Posting them here as well:

A funny thing I realised when I first came home with these rifles was how looooong they are with the 74 cm barrel! I actually have to dismantle it everytime I put it away in my gun-safe... stupid thing is probably meant for hunting rifles! :)

Björna

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.