Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is one of the 24's that Aim has up for sale for 119.95, and just had to pick one up! After shipping/transfer fees it ran me about $150...

Overall the gun is rough and has been handled and shot alot, but it has alot more finish on it than i have seen on most of the vz-24's while i have been searching for one. This sucker was caked in the old dried up pain in the A! cosmo, needless to say there is still some on it! There was some minor pitting around the trigger guard assy/box magazine, and the bore was a RUST BUCKET!!!!!! I pushed a mop soaked with hoppes#9 through the bore and it came out filthy rusty orange. This is the worst bore I have seen on a milsurp since I have started collecting 1.5 years ago, and I have handled many a rifle ;) Although with some scrubbing with one of my bad bronze brushes, and stopping up the bbl with a rubber eraser and letting it soak with PB Blaster it shows some promise...... At least i think, hence my question. It looks as if it has been counderbored about 1.75 inches? If you look at the photo of the muzzle. It looks as if it has been cut off and sleeved.. Idk if these type of mausers are supposed to be like this... is it common? is it safe to shoot like that? any input?

I can see that it was accepted at brno in 1939, but what does the S4 represent. Is it just a series?

Overall i am happy with my fine czech war machine, I like the been there, done that kind of look! I was really suprised to see a matching handguard and the sock numbered to the rifle! :)

Thanks AIM! I would have loved to handselect though...:grin:

Now to hunt a bayonet, sling, and cleaning rod!

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
2,127 Posts
Scrubbed "Lion's Crest". Counterbore is common on military rifles of that era, rifling at the muzzle was destroyed by steel cleaning rods. the coutnerbore cuts back to undamaged rifling. Finding a sling will be a real challenge. After ten years of collecting vz's I saw and bought a well worn one this weekend from a guy carrying a badly bubbaed 1937 dated vz-24. The rifle looked so ugly I didn't even look at the price before the show started. He bought the rifle for $$75.00, but knew the sling was quite uncommon and refused my $25.00 offer. I paid $50.00 and was glad to get it.
gil

·
Registered
402 Posts
btw like your signature!
thanks! Its not my original quote though... I know a guy that orders bumper stickers from some website, U get to put what you want on them and my sig. is one of his many!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ordered mine today. I hope it comes out as decent as yours (bluing). Should be here on Thursday.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
I recently purchased a VZ24 with crest to go with my other VZ24 that is scrubbed. My recent purchase sounds just like yours relative to the sewer pipe bore. I hoped that shooting it was going to help clean it up somewhat but no such luck. Mine also has very little bluing left. In all likelihood it will be a wall hanger until I can find something better...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just finished cleaning mine. Spent about an hour on bore and going over stock with heat gun and denatured alcohol. Bore is a little frosty but rifling is very strong. Did not have any rust issues at all.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
If you look at the photo of the muzzle. It looks as if it has been cut off and sleeved.. Idk if these type of mausers are supposed to be like this... is it common? is it safe to shoot like that? any input?

I can see that it was accepted at brno in 1939, but what does the S4 represent. Is it just a series?
What looks to be sleeved is just the front sight base. It is normal and safe. The S4 is just a series and is a part of the serial number.

Good looking rifle - lots of blue and lots of character!

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
Scrubbed "Lion's Crest". Counterbore is common on military rifles of that era, rifling at the muzzle was destroyed by steel cleaning rods. the coutnerbore cuts back to undamaged rifling. Finding a sling will be a real challenge. After ten years of collecting vz's I saw and bought a well worn one this weekend from a guy carrying a badly bubbaed 1937 dated vz-24. The rifle looked so ugly I didn't even look at the price before the show started. He bought the rifle for $$75.00, but knew the sling was quite uncommon and refused my $25.00 offer. I paid $50.00 and was glad to get it.
gil
I bought two repro two buckle VZ24 slings on Ebay in 2009 but I don't see any there right now. I bought a sling from IMA that was listed as a Japanese sling. It was the same repro two buckle VZ24 sling except that it had fake Japanese stamps on it. I put it on my Chinese P series VZ24 that could have been used by Japan. See http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/cPath/35/products_id/474 $13.95

Gun Parts (Numrich) has some original VZ24 export buckle and button slings, I'm guessing off South American VZ24 rifles. They say fair condition but the ones I got are a solid good condition, maybe good plus. #953950A for $6.80, see: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=4248 I bought six before and just now bought another ten.

There are now some repro VZ24 export slings on Ebay for $14.95, but why buy a repro when you can get an original, and get the original cheaper?

Here is a good reference for Czech slings and slings of other countries: http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/czech_sling_overview.htm

I know the earlier Czech VZ24 rifles used the two buckle slings. I know export VZ24 rifles used the buckle and button slings. I am not sure what kinds of slings were used on later Czech VZ24 and G24t rifles.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,174 Posts
DON'T take this the wrong way, because it isn't a criticism, or a smart-ass comment...
You mentioned that the bore is a wreck, it's counterbored almost two inches deep, and that it's practically all scrubbed out as far as markings go. Why do you feel like you received a good deal? Again, I'm not criticizing your taste, judgment or sense of value in milsurps, it 's just that it doesn't seem to all jibe. Please do explain, I'm curious and I'd like to know.
Thanks,
Pat

·
Registered
309 Posts
Import marks are small and under muzzle. TGI KNOX TN 8mm is the marking.
As to gun being a good deal, you have to remember that us newer guys to the world of mil-surps were not around for the days of 29.95 deals to be had at any gunshop. In my area any non Mosin under 200.00 is a good deal.

·
Gold Bullet member
576 Posts
To me as far as it being a good deal or not the bore makes all of the difference. If the bores is at least decent its a good deal but if its a sewer pipe thats not really shootable then I would say pass.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.