Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Copper Bullet Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I want to let everyone know how much I have enjoyed the forum and all the great information I have received since joining about two months ago. I find myself checking in just about every day to see if there is anything new so I'm hoping I may be able to contribute something of interest.

I bought this type 38 a week ago at a gun show and it had been camo painted but it looked like underneath it could look decent. After a few hours of steel wool and oil I got 99.9% of the paint off to the point I was satisfied although there are still some traces of green paint in a few pores. Also, I was willing to take a gamble because the rifle together with a nice repro sling and a Nagoya Star bayonet and sheath cost me $200.

The hand guard is clearly not matched to the stock. But what is puzzling is that I didn't notice until I reassembled the rifle that the end of the hand guard is not a correct type 38 piece. The overall length would be correct but the notch in front of the sight base is too large and doesn't allow the hand guard to slide in under the base, thus the temporary zip tie. Getting the correct type 38 hand guard is a comparatively easy find, but my question is, what kind of hand guard do I have here? In my reference material I see nothing like it except as a wild guess maybe a type 38 cavalry rifle? By the way I don't think this is a Bubba job, it looks to me that the piece was notched like that at the factory. Bubba did, however have the hand guard cleverly glued down to the stock, which was why I didn't notice at first that the piece was wrong.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,217 Posts
That rear sight tells me that this is probably a 29th series Nagoya. Really scarce rifle. Too bad it got goobered up so bad. The sight on the 29th goes up to 2200 meters. The sight on the 29th looks much like the T-99 sight and it was also used on the Nagoya T-97 sniper rifles

Edit, never mind. After giving it a second look, the slider is from a T-99. Sorry :sorry:

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
The T 38 cav rifle uses the same hand guard as the rifle, so that is not it.

Looks like someone just cut out the "flat" on the hg.

·
Copper Bullet Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a 24th series Kokura and definitely not a cavalry model. I just wondered about the hand guard. On closer examination I do think it's a regular type 38 hand guard that was very carefully routed out by Bubba, although I can't imagine what for. As another member pointed out, the rear sight comes from a transitional type 99. The safety and rear sling swivel are the earlier designs. So a new hand guard, new rear sight and now we're getting close to another hundred bucks to correct those items. Anyone know the best place to find parts like that? The main Japanese parts suppliers have been out of stock for the hand guards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts