Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some photos (finally) of my new Swedish Mauser!!...I am really happy with her!!...

She is mostly matching (the rear site number is off of the rest of the SNs [965]by a few dozen!)...I haven't taken her apart to see if there are any more non-matching components (what should I look for, and what OTHER photos should I post?)...

Can you folks please tell me about the stock wood?...I know it has that 'been there, done that' look, but I think it appears like a nice walnut stockwood with a nice 'flame' to it (is that fiddleback I see?)...I don't think it has been sanded, just used...ALOT!!...but, I will defer to you more experienced collectors, as this is my FIRST Swede!!...

The muzzle is NOT threaded...

I also bought a bunch of accessories for it (older sling dated 1910??, stripper clips, dummy ammo, front sight hood, cleaning kit material, bayonet, scabbard, locking ring, etc.), the only enigmatic thing is the Swedish leather pouch that is [SA] marked, don't know what that is...ALSO waiting for 280 rounds of ammo to show up in the 'big brown box' (how did I do with my accessories so far?)

Soooooooo?...how did I do?...

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the other side:

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some close-ups:

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a few more closeups...AND my bayonet, scabbard, and locking ring!!!:

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Accessories!!!:

Attachments

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,831 Posts
You have genuine Swedish M96 rifle . A good piece of Swedish history . No one has messed with it since leaving Sweden . No doubt the stock wood is French ( European ) walnut with some fiddleback in the buttstock . Look on the wrist of the stock for the crown cartouche , one or more , with or without a letter . I have not seen that leather pouch before ? Not likely for the M96 ? What is in it ? A monocular ? More countries used the crown mark than Sweden . Denmark is another . The "SA" is a Finnish mark . Get a cleaning bolt , the best $30 you can spend .

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=280852140

The stock , hand guard , trigger guard , barrel & firing pin are numbered inside .

Looks like you did OK to me . Where is your helmet & back pack ?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have genuine Swedish M96 rifle . A good piece of Swedish history . No one has messed with it since leaving Sweden . No doubt the stock wood is French ( European ) walnut with some fiddleback in the buttstock . Look on the wrist of the stock for the crown cartouche , one or more , with or without a letter . I have not seen that leather pouch before ? Not likely for the M96 ? What is in it ? A monocular ? More countries used the crown mark than Sweden . Denmark is another . The "SA" is a Finnish mark . Get a cleaning bolt , the best $30 you can spend .

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=280852140

The stock , hand guard , trigger guard , barrel & firing pin are numbered inside .
THANKS for the feedback and information!!...

...yeah, I thought that it was a nice fiddleback walnut stock!!...VERY happy about its condition too!!...I will disassemble soon to look at the other components!!...

...(the enigmatic 1937 dated leather accessory was sold to my by Marshall Kregel (kevos4.com), who assured me it is Finnish marked Swedish militaria...use unknown...but, I agree with the monocular idea, I never thought it was an m96 accessory, just thought it was kind of a cool thing to have)...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...aha!!...enigma solved!!!...thanks for posting, arilar!!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...oh...and, I apologize for the 'white crayon' stuff in the barrel/receiver markings, that's how I received it ;)

...anyone got a nice, NON-destructive way of removing it?...it's annoying to me!!... :laugh:

·
9,831 Posts
You might try an old tooth brush with BLO or mineral spirits to remove the white paint . Do not use anything to remove the bluing .

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might try an old tooth brush with BLO or mineral spirits to remove the white paint . Do not use anything to remove the bluing .
Thank you, I am gonna go do that right now!!

...if anyone has any additional information about my m96 or the accessories I have accumulated, please do so...I am a total newbie in the world of Mausers, so ANY and ALL information is good information to me!!...Thanks!!!

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,799 Posts
I don't think I'll upset anyone here by saying you started your mauser collection with the best rifle possible. You won't believe what a dream it is to shoot, and unbelievably accurate too. Congratulations!

·
9,831 Posts
themosinator : You need a book on the subject & there is only one worth buying , " Crown Jewels - the Mauser in Sweden , a Century of Accuracy and Precision " by Dana Jones , about $50 on EBAY or Amazon . Well worth the price . Don't be fooled by the cheap $20 paper back books , as they are full of errors .

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,594 Posts
themosinator,

Very nice. Congrats. Diggin' the warmth of the stock.

Swede, thanks for the tip on the cleaning bolt. I've been half-looking for one. There are now two, not three, marked and three unmarked left.

Regards, Shannon

·
9,831 Posts
I think another good book is "The Swedish Mauser Rifle" revised 3rd. edition form Amazon , I just got one for $13.00 plus....paperback by Steve Kehaya and Joe Poyer.
Nice rifle BTW, and great photos.
You are in for a big surprise , that book is the one I was talking about . It is full of errors . DO NOT use that information to judge your purchase or you will regret it . The other book is one by Bowser , which is a copy of the German text book on Swedish mausers & it is full of errors as well .

Take some advice from people on this Forum & buy the only book on Swedish Mausers worth buying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" Crown Jewels - the Mauser in Sweden , a Century of Accuracy & Precision " by Dana Jones .

If you think you are saving money at $13 versus $50 , it will cost you far more than that after making just one bad purchase using Poyer's Book .

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the advice!!...I will pick up a copy as soon as I get some more funds in the 'militaria fund'!!...

...is there anything ELSE that anybody can tell me about my new Swedish firearm and/or accessories??...I am REALLY NEW to Mausers and anything Swedish, so ANY and ALL extra information would be great!!...(if you need any different pics, let me know!)...

Thank you!!...

·
9,831 Posts
Look on the wrist of your stock behind the trigger guard & see what cartouches are there ? That may tell about rebuilding or possibly original ?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.