Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here is one of my newest additions. it is a 1936 tula 91/30 that saw action in the spanish civil war. it is marked "made in USSR". like most of the SCW mosins, it is road hard and put up wet. had a good bit of rust on it which i cleaned. bore is slightly pitted but the rifling is decent. it has a MP8 flaming ball cartouche on the stock. on the left side of the stock, somebody scratched 7.62. the stock has a crack that runs from behind the tang to the left side of the stock but it appears stable. will have to slip some gorilla glue in the crack at a later date. the handguard does not have metal at the end near the rear sight like the russian mosins do. the rifle has a matching receiver, buttplate, and floorplate but the bolt is a mismatch. the tang is marked 36 with the tula star. tell me what you think.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Looks good! Do you get funny looks from the neighbors when you clean you guns and take pictures of them in the driveway? Very few of my neighbors ever new that I had firearms and only one or two of them knew how many. Where I live now none of them know, but I don't have very many where I live now.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Thats a nice looking SCW beauty you have there!

·
Diamond Member
5,586 Posts
n10sivern, congratulations, I think your rifle is awesome. I wish mine had the flaming bomb stock stamp. Nice Spanish replacement handguard too. Denny

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. it is in pretty rough shape in my opinion but most of them that i have seen are pretty rough...especially the bores. appears the spanish didn't know how to clean bores properly.

no there is no metal on the hanguard at all. as for the 7.62 on the side of the rifle, is this something that the spanish did or something that bubba did? has anybody seen this on any other SCW rifles?

as far as my neighbors, the guy directly across the street (he used to work with my wife before he moved in there) is aware i collect rifles. to the right of him and the 2nd house to the left of him are long time friends that moved into the subdivision after i did...both of them go out and shoot with me. usually i park my truck in front of my garage and clean in the garage so that people can't see what i'm doing too well. then i move my truck to have room to take pictures in the sunlight.

can somebody post pics of their SCW rifle so i can compare it to others. i don't see them posted much and the old board is gone. also, what would be the correct cleaning rod, just a typical 91/30 rod or is it something different?

·
Diamond Member
5,586 Posts
The 91/30 works. There are also substitute ones made for this. I think there is a pic of one at Teds site (a flatened end with a hole through it). Denny

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
I have a couple on a severely out of date page in the Museum at my site. I've never heard of "7.62" scratched in a SCW stock before. However, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it was done in Spain because one of the major problems of the Republican forces was logistics due to an unreal variety of weapons in several (dozens?) calibers. There are Spanish replacement cleaning rods, but most I've seen have typical M91/30 rods.

Your subdivision is what the statists would call a "compound". ;)

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
An all wood handguard is proof of a Spanish replacement handguard. The cleaning rod can be of two types. The typical 91/30 is proper, as a cleaning rod that can be seen on Ted's site in the cleaning rod section.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts