Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went to the local surplus gunshop as they have gotten a big batch of various swiss rifles in stock. They advertised having many K31's, some K11's and also some 1896/11's. I already had some carbines, but no long rifles so i started sifting through the rack when i noticed that amongst all the grafted in pistol grip 96/11s were two real-deal 1911 long rifles. One was real rough with a frankenstein stock whose handguard had so many repair plugs, it looked like a string of runway lights. I then moved onto this one which i noticed had a private series serial number and was in fantastic shape which i decided to take home with me.

Just a few quick camera pics of some interesting features. The serial number exceeds those i found on swissrifles.com but i understand they in fact do go beyond that range. The numbers are all matching, even the cocking knob. The bluing is like 95%, bore is morror and rifling crisp and the wood has a nice figure and finish to it but has a few dings and other marks here and there but nothing like your typical beaver chewed military stock. There is also a plate on the side of the buttstock with the name "Willy Elsaesser, Kirchberg" engraved on it. Is this a gunsmith or perhaps the owner? Also, while looking over the rifle once i got it back home, i noticed an odd piece of paper in the magazine under the follower. Thinking it might be just a wad of packing paper rubbish, i fished it out and to my surprise is written some words, perhaps some names and numbers. Not sure what they mean but its interesting none the less.

·
Silver Bullet member
6,068 Posts
This is a good find. The stamped letters are probably the owner - they are not as well done as those done by a precision egineer like a gunsmith.

The words 'Vorn' and 'Hinten' mean 'front' and rear' and the dimensions are those of the bore in these locations - the breech and the muzzle.

Congratulations.

tac

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
Nice find! You may be able to track down the former owner, or more likely, one of his descendants. You can reach out to fellow forum member Jumper01 as he is in Switzerland and can help find people.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
would that gun shop happen to have any extra swiss 1911 magazines? could you get me there phone no. the duke
Drop me an email, I have those at 50 euros or $65 just the shipping cost are kind of a kill at $25 .

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with tacfoley2 that Willy Elsaesser was most likely the provious owner. Elsaesser is a known family-name in the area of Kirchberg and, as to my knowledge, not a name of a gunsmith. I have investigated and found a Willi Elsaesser ( written with i and not y) formerly living in Kirchberg, but no additional information

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm brand new to the Milsurp world. Just bought my first one which is a Mosin Nagant M91/30. I have recently started looking into the Swiss rifles and like what I see. Kinda like comparing a Timex to a Tag Heuer; but you gotta love the Timex too, it just keeps going.

With that said, pardon my dumb question, but what is a private series serial number?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Banned
430 Posts
You cannot go wrong with the Schmidt Rubin rifle. I shoot the 1896/11 Rifle, Floating barrel, can shoot the eye out of a needle, however if you do not give it a good whack closing the bolt, you will get a click on pulling the trigger, and nothing else, swiss clock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.