Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Differences between M1905 Cavalry Carbine and " M1908"
Engineers/ Atrillery Musketoon.
Cav Carbine: Stock slot for rear sling mount ( similar KAR98( 1900), and side sling barrel band;
CURVED Bolt Handle;
"M1908": Straight Bolt handle, normal Rifle ( underneath ) Sling swivels only, Later serial ## and dates( 1909,1910 converted from Turkish Army Calendar Dates). Getting onto Photos as fast as other work ( Taxes, New Website, Convalescence allows)
Doc AV

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Differences between M1905 Cavalry Carbine and " M1908"
Engineers/ Atrillery Musketoon.
Cav Carbine: Stock slot for rear sling mount ( similar KAR98( 1900), and side sling barrel band;
CURVED Bolt Handle;
"M1908": Straight Bolt handle, normal Rifle ( underneath ) Sling swivels only, Later serial ## and dates( 1909,1910 converted from Turkish Army Calendar Dates). Getting onto Photos as fast as other work ( Taxes, New Website, Convalescence allows)
Doc AV
So mine has the sling swivels on the bottom of the stock and a matching bent bolt. Do you think its a 1908 carbine sitting in a cavalry stock?

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
The other way around...a 1905 ( sic) Carbine Metal fitted to a 1908 Musketoon stock...maybe for Mounted Artillery??? The Turks were known for Mixes and Matches, to suit Particular Needs not originally at time of Procurement...like Musketoon Gew88s built in 1920s...
The Serial Number translation and Turkish Date will give an idea as to Model/ Contract delivery of Your "Item".
I will get mine Photographed and Posted for Interpretation ( including Provenance Engraving)
as soon as my PA has finished our backlog of Tax reporting for Fiscal 21-22. ( we do our Tax Year July to June).

DocAV

·
Registered
14 Posts
In your photo, I can't quite make out the lettering on the receiver ring, but the upper number is 1326, and lower number is 11754. Might that lower number be the serial number?
I would be concerned that the purpose of the wire wrapping around the wrist would be to strengthen a cracked or broken stock. I've seen that sort of 'quick fix' before.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
1326 is the Turkish Lunar Year used by the Army,and the other 5-digit number is the Serial.
1326 + 584 == 1910.
584 is the reputed year of the Prophet's coming of age ( 14 yrs). Different system from Persia and Arabia which used Anno Hegira, 621 mid-year, the return from Medina to Mecca and its conquest. ( add 622).
DocAV

21 - 29 of 29 Posts