Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just picked up a Mosin Nagant 91/30 with laminated stock at a Gun show yesterday for $149.00 ($169.00 tax and all). They had wood stock ones in fine shape for $119.00 too. Anyway, mine is in near mint, or at least in excellent condition, bore included. It is the round receiver and on top of the receiver it has a big star with what I think is the hammer and sickle and under that “1942”. And under that is what looks like a fancy “N” and right next to or beside it is what looks like a backwards “E”. Under that “HM722”. Who made this and is this rifle anything special or just a run of the mill typical MN 91/30?
Thanks,
Freebooter

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,545 Posts
Sounds like a pretty standard 1942 Tula M1891/30 to me (made by the Soviet Union)...the lam. stock makes it a tiny bit more collectible in some folks' opinions...you might have paid a tiny bit higher than most would pay...but, if YOU like it, then that is ALL that matters!!...

Photos, please?...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,734 Posts
Sounds like what you bought is a refurbished Tula made 91/30. The laminate stocks is a late war feature, but they look great. On a factory refurbished rifle a later stock is totally acceptable.
In 1942 (and later) the factories worked on cranking out as many rifles they could, and as fast as they could, so the finish/machining quality is usually pretty rough on the outside, but the critical parts such as the bore etc usually are of very good standard - compared to the outside of ceratin parts. Take it out to the range and I'm pretty sure you'll be pleasantly surprised how well it shoots (assuming the bore is in good condition). Short of 1943 the 1942 production is among the more common on the market

·
Registered
17,621 Posts
yep run of the mill '42 91/30. But the tula is a good choice for that period, and the stock is a post war replacment. Should make a fine shooter.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Corrections:

Thanks Guys, but sorry to say I made a mistake. I took it outside in the sunlight and realized I made a mistake on two things: Inside that star is what appears to be an arrow and the serial number is "4M722" intead of H"M". And under that, what I thought was that funny N and backwards E is the N with a number 2 next to it. Sorry about that. I should have had it in good light to begin with.
Dave

·
Copper Bullet member
1,869 Posts
"4M722".

Now that would be interesting. Looking forward to seeing photos. When I see a `42 Tula, I often wonder how long it took for them to re-tool and start making weapons again.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The fact that its a Tula rather than an Izhevsk in 42 makes it nifty, and you can in my opinion get more accuracy out of a laminate stock as the wood is less prone to warping antics in the forward half among other things, plus they look nice. The stock would have been added during refurbishment.

We will require detailed pictures of course, and we need to know if the numbers on the bolt, butt plate and door on the magazine match the one on the barrel including the 2 cyrillic characters (or in your case a 4 and a letter though that should be impossible) and if any numbers are crossed out on those parts.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
42 Tula's are cool. Just think about when and where and under what circumstances they were made and used. Ours has a burn mark on the side of the stock. November 19th 1942 Operation Uranus the jaws on the trap started to close on Von Paulus and the Sixth Army...Maybe yours was there...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buttplate, etc, markings:

I forgot to add markings on buttplate and magazine bottom. The only thing on the butt plate is a electric pencil saying ZU 722. And on the bolt and bottom of trigger guard housing are different numbers stamped than the one on receiver, but the same ZU 722 penciled into them. Not sure who did that with the electric engraver but it appears the original stamped numbers and lettering on bolt and magazine bottom mean it was mismatched to begin with. So as I surmised, just a run of the mill shooter. I have had a couple before and love Mosin Nagants.

And as far as the price, around here (central Alabama, you won't find one under 120 bucks. Most are going for 130-160 on the average.

I would like to post pics, but have no decent camera other than a cheap cell phone. If I can find a friend with a good camera, I will post pics!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts