Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a new to me Mauser. It's short like a carbine, and has no engraving at all where the crest usuall shows. In a cursury examination, I could only find one stamped number on the receiver DT 8093.

Other parts are serial numbered, but none appear to match. The gun is really filthy and maybe even a little rusted, but I didn't see any bad pittiong. I left it with the gun smith for a thorough cleaning. I've got too many dirty guns in line at home right now.

The sling loops are on the side of the gun, with the one near the butt sitting in a small inlet on the stock.

To me, it looked like a gun that sat uncleaned in a basement somewhere. The bolt was so gummy it would hardly close. The stock was filthy, but did not have the usual "dents all over". I could not find any marks on the stock, and only one real handling dent in the wood.

The gunsmith suggested is was a model 96, Spanish Mauser. Until I get it back in a week or so, I cannot post any pictures, but are there enough hints here to tell me what I might have?

I wish I had brought it home for a few days to take pictures to post, but that would have delayed the cleaning. My curiosity just won't let me wait until I get it to try and find out what it is.

It was listed by the seller as "unknown Mauser"

RBH

·
Registered
261 Posts
Probably a model 93 Spainish in the 1916 configuration. Maybe converted to .308.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Never ending story.....check previous discussion on this subject,return in six months when you have read them all.One million say "unsafe",one million say "safe".You be the judge.Seriously though,you dont pay a gunsmith to clean an old gun,surely not.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
First, there is no way to tell you what you have based on your description, except that it isn't a Spanish Mauser Model 1896 because no such model exists. We need pictures.

Second, you don't need a gunsmith to clean a gun and using a gunsmith to clean a gun will likely destroy any collector value, although based on your description it sounds like it's going to be a shooter only if anything.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Well I never. No, not even once. But I do clean guns for folks. However, cleaning up a gun is a different story altogether and requires discussion with the owner and going over all the possibilities up front. Anything else that comes to light gets a call or communication of some sort before proceeding where we haven't agreed to proceed. Sounds kinda dumb/anal/timewasting but the process done professionally ain't a joke. Even an inexpensive type firearm deserves that kind of respect, as well as the inexpensive owner. Sooner or later he may want to trade and I already know what and whom I'm dealing with. Bonus is they usually show up with someone else who has something really nice that I can use. Works most of the time anyway.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it back from the clean up by the gunsmith. Found the CAI logo and .308 WIN on the barrel. Since it's been rechambered to .308, I assume it will never be a valuable collectable, but it looks cool to me, and I took it out a couple of weeks ago and shot half a box of .308 with it. Make a real boom that got the attention of all the .223 shooters out wasting ammo.

Thanks for all the replies. Anyone know where Ican find a strap for it?

RBH

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Got it back from the clean up by the gunsmith. Found the CAI logo and .308 WIN on the barrel. Since it's been rechambered to .308, I assume it will never be a valuable collectable, but it looks cool to me, and I took it out a couple of weeks ago and shot half a box of .308 with it. Make a real boom that got the attention of all the .223 shooters out wasting ammo.

Thanks for all the replies. Anyone know where Ican find a strap for it?

RBH
The importer stamped it .308 Win, but it is chambered in 7.62x51 Nato and that’s what you should shoot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.