Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

i received this M3 today and have always wanted one. Here in the Uk I believe them to be quite rare, can someone tell me the date of this one. I believe it to be early due to the guide stamping being at the bottom.

Does it look all ok, can anyone tell me if it’s correct, it certainly looks it.

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
Hi all

i received this M3 today and have always wanted one. Here in the Uk I believe them to be quite rare, can someone tell me the date of this one. I believe it to be early due to the guide stamping being at the bottom.

Does it look all ok, can anyone tell me if it’s correct, it certainly looks it.
First model it has the cocking lever, the revision removed it, and used a finger hole in the bolt.

I take it that its not functional?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,895 Posts
Made by Guide lamp division of General Motors. The same maker of the liberator pistol. They had extensive experience with metal stamping and welding. Probably made in '42-'44 time frame.
There was a UK modification to the magazine catch to prevent accidental release of the magazine. it was a bar tack welded
across the catch. You have a early barrel and magazine catch, the US manufactured a fence that went around the mag catch
to protect it from accidental release, you would need this part.

Like the WW2 Thompsons - serial number records are not found,

Attachments

·
Registered
914 Posts
I like the early version best even though I don't have one. The design/quality didn't reflect the price for me. European wood and blued metal was less expensive and far more attractive to me.... I guess I fail to qualify as a US marital collector!!!!! I saw a collection of this type stuff in Portsmouth, Ohio. He had 2 guns and one 9mm conversion for them along with 10-12 other MGs from all nations including STG 43s. He had registered them all on one sheet of high school notebook paper. Price for everything, including a dozen Lugers was $125,000. I couldn't handle that back then. Maybe 1990.

In the 1970's, I went to a mansion style home to look about buying a toy train collection. That was all set up in a big bedroom (???) upstairs. He was going to show me something in a cabinet above a counter. He opened the cabinet door to expose two Grease guns inside, he looked both directions in that cabinet, closed the door and opened another with the comment, "Wrong cabinet."

This same clown had 10 MG 34s dewatted during the 1968 amnesty as he didn't trust the gov't not to simply just come and get them. Fool.........

And, while I am at it, I really dislike 'weapon'.......implies assault.....a brick can be a weapon, a golf club, hoe, stick.......what we are talking about here is specific, a gun generally, a MG specifically.

PJH

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the early version best even though I don't have one. The design/quality didn't reflect the price for me. European wood and blued metal was less expensive and far more attractive to me.... I guess I fail to qualify as a US marital collector!!!!! I saw a collection of this type stuff in Portsmouth, Ohio. He had 2 guns and one 9mm conversion for them along with 10-12 other MGs from all nations including STG 43s. He had registered them all on one sheet of high school notebook paper. Price for everything, including a dozen Lugers was $125,000. I couldn't handle that back then. Maybe 1990.

In the 1970's, I went to a mansion style home to look about buying a toy train collection. That was all set up in a big bedroom (???) upstairs. He was going to show me something in a cabinet above a counter. He opened the cabinet door to expose two Grease guns inside, he looked both directions in that cabinet, closed the door and opened another with the comment, "Wrong cabinet."

This same clown had 10 MG 34s dewatted during the 1968 amnesty as he didn't trust the gov't not to simply just come and get them. Fool.........

And, while I am at it, I really dislike 'weapon'.......implies assault.....a brick can be a weapon, a golf club, hoe, stick.......what we are talking about here is specific, a gun generally, a MG specifically.

PJH

Great story ! Glad you like it

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I think the M3A1 is far better than the original M3. Elimination of the cocking handle was a brilliant improvement. Every GI has a "built-in cocking finger" which can be used to operate the bolt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts