Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently picked up these two. The M28-76 has a 1969 dated M39 "sneak" barrel with a 3600 proof on the left side of the barrel on a antique receiver. I have a recoil lug bolt on the way before anyone points that out ;) Also, if any of our Finnish friends would be so kind as to give me a clue on the sticker thats on the buttstock of the two dogs........ its gonna stay. I am not much for stickers on guns but thats its history so there it will stay. The next rifle is a early straight stocked M39. All numbers matching with a beautiful bore and at one time it had a buttstock tag as you can see the imprint of it and the four brad holes. Also you will notice an old field repair near the tang of the stock. I bought it from a well regarded forum member so I know its legit. Looking forward to getting that recoil lug here and getting both of them to the range ;)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,088 Posts
Both are nice rifles. I love the straight stocks. I have seen repairs like that on a number of Finnish stocks. But never those flea scratching hounds!!

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
I was so busy studying the marks on the M39 that I totally missed the fact that it was a straight stock...DUHHH! That's a very nice find :) . I'm pretty much done with getting more M39s for now, but if a straight stock pops up locally for a good price I'll be making an exception.

Please let us know how the M28/76 shoots. Also, apparently about a third have tight chambers that will not fully chamber a 7.62x54...apparently they are set up for 7.62x53. I have one of these and handloading is required.

Keith

·
Platinum Bullet Member
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still need to slug the bore but I am betting that it will be a .310-.311 bore............. Thanks for the compliments ;)

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
From what some folks in Finland reported to us, apparently some of these are 'corporate' sponsorship stickers. Mine had stickers from an insurance company and a fitness products company.

Keith

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,964 Posts
nice looking rifles. I like the 28/76 but being a lefty kinda takes some of the shine off of them. Wish they'd had more with left handed stocks.
y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Gold Bullet member
3,077 Posts
Nice rifles, I got a strait stock M39 in the 3000 range also. It looks very much like yours; about zero finish and well used, just the way I like these old Finns.

·
Banned
595 Posts
nice looking rifles. I like the 28/76 but being a lefty kinda takes some of the shine off of them. Wish they'd had more with left handed stocks.
y'all have a good day, Keith

This .

·
Registered
444 Posts
Noble sniper stupid question but one that I just thought of. How far is the front sight from the end of the barrel? Is it the same length as your M-39 or is it right around 1/2 inch. Reason why I ask is cause I just sold one that was also dated 1969, but the front sight was only .458 from the end of the barrel ID'ing it as a M-28/30 barrel. Tried to tell by the pics but can't.

Also was yours glass bedded? I have one that was, the other two were not

·
Platinum Bullet Member
9,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello Thanks alot guys..........started to give up ever getting one. Noonanda, I have some other measurements to take this evening and will get the mic's out and measure the front sight base as well for you. No it was not glas bedded, it had paper shims. Am really looking forward to shooting both of them but especially the 28-76 ;) The dog sticker....... thanks. I raise pointing labs so will leave the sticker on it as well. Perhaps conjure up some story as to how this rifle was used by Finnish dogsled sniper teams :thumbsup: Thanks again all ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.