Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a M1895 Dutch Mannlicher long rifle at the gun show in Lavergne, Tennessee this weekend. It came from the estate sale dealer that's been holding sales in the Nashville area over the past few months. It's a 1918 Hembrug in absolutely gorgeous condition. It appears to still be in the original 6.5mm. The bolt is a mismatch, but all other parts appear to be matching. Pictures are below.

I have two questions. (1) It's missing the cleaning rod; is there any hope of finding one, and if so, can anyone recommend where I might begin looking? (2) What did Dutch slings look like and does anyone have originals or reproductions for sale?

Thanks!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,961 Posts
Beautiful rifle! Congrats!

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
I picked up a M1895 Dutch Mannlicher long rifle at the gun show in Lavergne, Tennessee this weekend. It came from the estate sale dealer that's been holding sales in the Nashville area over the past few months. It's a 1918 Hembrug in absolutely gorgeous condition. It appears to still be in the original 6.5mm. The bolt is a mismatch, but all other parts appear to be matching. Pictures are below.

I have two questions. (1) It's missing the cleaning rod; is there any hope of finding one, and if so, can anyone recommend where I might begin looking? (2) What did Dutch slings look like and does anyone have originals or reproductions for sale?

Thanks!
Hi Hepcatfox,
Congratulatioins on finding your M.95. Does your rifle still have its stock cartouche? Are the stocks and handguard matching?

I'm sorry to report that no Dutch M.95 cleaning rods are available anywhere for any model of Dutch Mannlicher as far as I know. They will mosat likely have to be made new as reproductions...but no one to my knowledge no one has done this as yet.

Regarding slings, I have seen a few on M.95's but they have been different and unmarked, so we can't tell what's original and what's not. Original Dutch M.95 slings have not been well documented AFAIK. Perhaps one of our member in Holland might have some pictures?
Regards,
John

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers. I was afraid that might be the case with cleaning rods.

The stock cartouche is there and is the correct year (1918). I checked the handguard and both it and the stock are matching.

One more question. When I removed the handguard I noticed that the stock and handguard have been coated with some type of laquer, shellac, etc. I could see drips and runs under the handguard. What is the original finish? Would it be boiled linseed oil like most military rifles or something else?

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Many, but not all my M.1895's stocks and handguards have shellaced barrel channels. I would assume that this was the original finish.
Regards,
John

·
Banned
904 Posts
ammo for Dutch 6.5

Anyone have any info on ammo for the Dutch 6.5X53R??? any new made cases or loaded ammo??

Can the cases be made from something else???

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not sure about the ammo, but I know Sarco has the en-bloc clips needed to hold 'em. I got some a couple of weeks ago, and they look pretty good--a few rust spots and shellac, but nothing major.

http://www.sarcoinc.com/stripclips.html

I've seen the surplus loaded ammo a few times on Gunbroker or Auction Arms, but it looks a little too expensive to shoot regularly. Someone else here should probably be able to steer you toward a good roll-your-own type of solution.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,961 Posts
I just reloaded some 6.5 x 53R. The usual disclaimers here.. have the rifle checked before attempting to fire and begin with reduced load.

Bullet: Hornady .264 160gr RN
Case: Privi 6.5 x 53R Dutch
Powder: IMR 3031
Charge: 33.0 grs
Primer: CCI 200
COL: 2.955
Velocity: 2083

·
Banned
904 Posts
thanks gents...

for the help. Im told they can be fairly easily made from 303 Brit. I found someone here in Australia to sell me some clips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts