Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi team

Just got my new rifle, taken a few photo and about to head down to the range to load some ammo and away I go!

But I have a few questions that someone may be able to help with.

Rack numbers – how would one going about learning more of the history of a particular rifle? I have the rack number and would love to learn more about the history of the rifle?

On the butt on the right hand side appears to be an impression of fern leaves and at the top a crown, it takes a close inspection, could have been put there by a previous owner but it doesn’t appear to as be pronounced as the other markings, has anyone seen similar?

She has the usual knocks of history and once again the often lamented “if on she could speak” but with the aid of Skennerton's latest edition ive worked out the odd thing or two.

I guess that’s the thrust of my questions – how do I learn more of her history as the clincher was her NZ markings and her ability to shoot! (Hopefully I too can match the previous owners ability!!)

She now sits very happily next to my Stevens Savage, was a bit of a deal though with my beloved who fully supported the purchase, although a contribution to the wedding dress fund that was a lot more than the price of the rifle helped!

Cheers

Tertle

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,883 Posts
Long Branch?

From the looks of it, it is a Long Branch, with the late #3 sight fitted. Has the rifle been FTR'd? What is the date and serial #? XX out the last two digits if you want, I'm curious as to when they started fitting that sight, from the 300/600 flip sight. Good score! :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
longbranch

Limpitmine

Yeah she is a longbranch :),

Her serial number is 17L7973 and yes stamped on the rear sight "Mk III" and on the reverse is the LB marking opposite is the letter "K" if that helps

No need to hide (xx) serial numbers we are all friends here :) (Unless there is some unwritten rule not too!)

Her markings include

On the fore stock
C /I\
17L7973

B
Which according to Mr Skennerton refers to Component / Contractor markings for the No 4 which B stands for Wilkinson’s Ltd., Bradford (N85), not sure what 66 refers to? And that she is Canadian issue, but also has Kiwi markings on the butt

She also has the original safety, i can’t see any FTR markings

I am rather happy with her

Now to get down to the range :)

Cheers

Tertle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts