Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had an attraction / affliction with surplus rifles and the newest addition to my collection surprisingly shot so well with it's 20 inch barrell. I've been a huge fan of short carbines, ecspecially hunting here in
the mountains. This one started life as a post WWII 1946 M44 Mosin Nagant carbine,(my first M44) and as typical of post war
examples, metal finish is beautiful as is the mirror bright bore that was not counterbored.

I initially had plans to put my 1936 Tula barrelled action in an aftermarket stock but I shot the M44 from the bench at 75 yards using Silver bear FMJ and
was rewarded with 1 inch groups with the stock iron sights. So, ordered a pepper laminated stock from Boyds for the M44.
Price was very reasonable ($92) and fitment was perfect except for just a tad of wood I removed from the barrell channel to completly
float the barrell. It's nice to have a good recoil pad and sling swivels now. And to beat all nothing is done to hurt the value of
the rifle in it's origional configuration. I swapped in a Finnish trigger and sear, and after some hard work with some 2000 grit wet/dry
sandpaper the bolt now opens with no effort from one finger. Up next is a S&K mount and EER scope and I will have an ideal holler rifle.
Lets hear what you
think of the pics:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not the forum for discussing modification topics.
So simply taking a Mosin and putting it in a new stock while retaining all origional features is really that bad.
For a second there I thought I was on the 7.62 forum.
I do realize that this is indeed a collectors forum. With that said what is more natural and hand in hand with collecting than shooting?
I like to use my old rifles and would rather not scratch up the origional stock busting through a briar patch, hence the new stock.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have been thinking about trying something similar with my iz 1943 91/30 reurb. the bore on the rifle is very nice but it dosent shoot very consistantly due to how warped the stock has become over the years. the number of shots it takes to figure out where to hold on that particular day with its original postwar refub stock makes it kinda useless. so instead of cutting most of the forend off i may get one of those aftermarket stocks so that i can do the bedding right.

that said post these sort of thing over on the workbench so that i dont have to read nastygrams from people who dont like to see "tinkering" on milsurps. personally i think people sporterizing milsurps just makes the ones left origional worth more.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
So simply taking a Mosin and putting it in a new stock while retaining all origional features is really that bad.
For a second there I thought I was on the 7.62 forum.
I do realize that this is indeed a collectors forum. With that said what is more natural and hand in hand with collecting than shooting?
I like to use my old rifles and would rather not scratch up the origional stock busting through a briar patch, hence the new stock.

Welcome and enjoy. Any totally reverseable and non-permanent modification should be fine even with the 7.62 forum guys, but some are of one mindset. Nice looker and you are saving the original stock from harm while you use the rifle in a practical sense.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice groups for a 44.

Did you shoot the groups with the bayonet out or folded?
Interestingly enough, despite what I always read, the best well centered shots were with the bayonet stowed, not open. Bought a box of PPU 150 grain
softpoints today. I am very impressed with the Boyd's stock and I think it compliments the rifle. The origional stock is tucked safe away in the safe next to the Finn Dragoon and a beautiful Tula barrelled action that I have yet to determine what to do with.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice looker and you are saving the original stock from harm while you use the rifle in a practical sense.
I won't own a firearm that I can't use. Turkey season is right around the corner and I am wanting to use my Stevens model 94 from the 60's. It would
tickle me pink to take a deer or elk here with a mosin. A good friend of mine took a doe 4 years ago with my PTG 1917 Mosin.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
Sorry...but, I am gonna have to do it...

...even reversible changes made to Mosin Nagants are frowned upon here, because this is a COLLECTOR'S FORUM...

...as has been said before...the WORKBENCH FORUM is the best place for discussing modifications to Mosins...(in fact, if you read the RULES at the top of the Forum, it CLEARLY states that discussing modifications is NOT okay here)...

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...orters-refinishing-or-the-like-try-this-board

...so, that being said, I agree that what you did is reversible, and actually looks pretty cool...and, I am not trying to be a hardcase, but your topic is for the Workbench Forum, not the Collector's Forum!!...

...Good luck during hunting season!!... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From a KYFW email:
Any caliber centerfire rifle or
centerfire handgun. But, firearms
may NOT be able to hold
more than 11 rounds (10 in
magazine and one in chamber),
may NOT be fully-automatic
(capable of firing more than
one round with one trigger
pull), and may NOT be shooting
full metal jacketed or tracer
bullet ammunition.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Created froma need of our parent site- Mosinnagant.net- we started the collectors board in 1996. This is the original Mosin Nagant forum on the Internet. It is the most active board on the subject that can be found. The board is world renowned as the benchmark on the subject. With users from all around the world, it provides an insight that is unique and educational that adds to the knowledge base and allows it to grow. An intense focus is put on the all the models of Mosin Nagant, Russian and Finnish weapons, as well as Soviet Arms such as the SVT38 and SVT40. A wide ranging and detailed dialogue with collectors and experts from the world over can be found here. If you like the Mosin Nagants, Finnish or Soviet weapons, or collectible firearms subjects then this is the board to check out

....as has been said before...the WORKBENCH FORUM is the best place for discussing modifications to Mosins...(in fact, if you read the RULES at the top of the Forum, it CLEARLY states that discussing modifications is NOT okay here)...

Themosinator-- I have copy and pasted the forum rules, show me where it "CLEARLY states that discussing modifications is Not okay here"

Nice rifle headoftheholler, love that stock. Ive got a barreled action 91/30 I have been thinking about cutting 4" off the stock and putting in a laminate stock.

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
Seeing I made the comment that sited this back and forth about the OP I would like to chime in. I did not make the comment to be rude. Changing the stock without harming the original rifle in my book is fine, but this is not the forum for it. About a year ago someone here posted a similar picture of their reversible sporter, which inspired a new member who didn't know the difference to post his sporter. His had the barrel shorted and the metal polished amongst other things. Needles to say things on that thread got ugly real quick. My comment was not said in a rude tone, and I hope the OP did not take it that way. I appoligize if you took it as me jumping on you, I'm not. I was merely suggesting that this forum is not really the right forum for these type of projects. Fixing broken parts is a different story though in my mind. Thanks all,

Sean

·
Copper Bullet member
4,063 Posts
About a year ago someone here posted a similar picture of their reversible sporter, which inspired a new member who didn't know the difference to post his sporter. His had the barrel shorted and the metal polished amongst other things. Needless to say things on that thread got ugly real quick.
Ew, I remember that thread... Things got horrendously ugly in very short order. As I remember it that new member ended up leaving the forums for good after being barraged with a firestorm of hatred.

I do understand the changing of the stock, it looks extremely classy, and I'm sure it shoots even better (especially with that nice rubber buttplate to moderate that shoulder wrecking recoil), but I would gently suggest keeping threads like this to a bare minimum because they can encourage the posting of sporters, and dem be bad juju mon.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Come on! Reversible changes frowned upon? Don't be silly.
Wrong forum - sure, but easy mistake to make.

I like the stock - looks great.
I dislike 'bubba-izing' as much as anyone else, but this ain't that.

HeadoftheHoller, you better jump on that S&K mount currently offered for sale here in the WTS section. I almost did, but funds are low now.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...t-scope-mount-for-Mosin-Nagant-M44-65-SHIPPED

·
Registered
789 Posts
I like the new stock! My M38 would look good in one too. +1 for the "home made camo pattern", that would easily identify it as a true "Kentucky Karbine";). I read the hunting regs. every year, never anything on a bayonet being illegal in Ky. If the temporary modification causes you much unrest and loss of sleep, appetite, etc., you can mail me the Boyd stock and start "feeling better" immediately!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.