Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It had been waaaaaay too long since I had exercised this rifle, so I decided to let 'er have a go at the J.C. Garand Match this morning. She's a July 1944 barrel, s/n 3,916,xxx, FJA cartouche with an Ogden rebuild stamp.
Shooting the issued HXP '73 ammo, I was happy with the first slow fire score of 92-0X (ten rounds). Then the rapid fire score repeated the same result with the next ten rounds (and with time to spare out of the allowed 70 seconds). And finally, the last slow fire ten rounds, and... WOW! 97-5X! My best ever target at a J.C. Garand Match. Happy Father's Day!
DISCLOSURE: I shot all rounds from a bench with forestock on sandbag, but still, for my 63YO eyes, iron sights, and milsurp ammo, I am not complaining. The coin is a quarter. There was a single round up in the white (8-ring) at 1 o'clock; not visible here. The black pasties are from the previous courses of fire.
This HXP Greek ammo seems like pretty good stuff too, first time I have shot it. Might have to get some, when it's available.
Side Note: I noticed some binding with the bolt handle on the extraction upswing. It almost felt as if it were going to jam on several occasions.
Hmmm...
:?

Firing line view (over my step-son's M1 Garand):

The rifle:

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
As it appears you're mainly interested in the rifle's shooting abilities (which I agree are IMPRESSIVE!), you may not care, but the receiver dates from 1943 and the barrel is a replacement. No original Remington barrels were made past Dec., 1943 or maybe Jan., 1944. All later ones were replacements.

Again, impressive results!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I know what you mean! I purchased my 03A3 last year and it now rivals my Krag in the gun cabinet for most accurate open-sighted rifle. I have to keep them apart otherwise they argue. The 03A3's may not be as sexy as the original '03s, but man can they shoot!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts