Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, the local milsurp gun store came thru again and I found this interesting Exercitiu marked M91 rifle for sale. It is an 1898 M91 with an early (no sling slots) stock. It is missing an action screw, the front barrel band, and a piece for the rear sight. I believe it also has a Austrian arsenal marking on the receiver as well. I bought it for 110 OTD so I'm not mad. The previous owner owned cats so it has cat hair stuck to the crud. Needs wiped down but overall a nice example. It will go nice with the Instructie M91 that I bought from them. They have a Finn M91 dated 1893 for sale as well but I didn't have enough for that today. What is different "training wise" between these and Instructie rifles?

·
Registered
11,686 Posts
Nice one! Did you notice the black painted buttstock? Very common on training rifles. The brand of the Oesterreichische Waffenfabriksgesellschaft (OEWG) is a very nice plus!

Regards

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Very nice, congratulations! I've been looking for one of these for a while. I'll go ahead and say it, "Let me know if you ever want to get rid of it". I could probably come up with an interesting trade for you.

I have a couple of Exercitiu M44s and they have clipped firing pins. One of them was also missing an action screw and the other some magazine internals when I bought them. I'm pretty sure I was the first owner after import as I bought them from a dealer who bought large lots directly from Century. Based on the condition, especially the clipped firing pins, I'd say that these were not intended to ever be fired, but used only for drill and stuff like that. It's my understanding that the Instructie rifles were intended to be used in case of an extreme emergency. As kh mentions, the black butt is a feature of the Exercitiu rifles and although you've probably figured it out, the "Ex." mark on the receiver is an abbreviation for Exercitiu. Here's a link to mine: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareInstEx.htm

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the Austrian marking mean that it has been converted to another caliber.? I was reading Mosinnagant.net and they suggest that is the meaning of the mark.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
No, just that they refurbished it. I can't remember if there is any specific mark indicating rechambering, but the rear sight would be renumbered to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 instead of the typical 4, 6, 8, 10, 12. Converted M91s are very uncommon and I think most of them were sold to Finland where they were converted back or scrapped for parts. It's not uncommon to find the renumbered rear sight bases on Finnish rifles, but in that case it does not necessarily indicate rechambering.

·
Registered
11,686 Posts
After rechambering for the Austrian cartridge the Austrians struck an "A" (for adapted) on top of the buttstock.

A re-rechambered (by the Finns) rifle you can recognize by the different rear sight markings, Ted mentioned, and a small sleeve, looking like a ring, in the chamber.

Regards

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Thanks for the reminder on that "A" kh.

Keep in mind that few rifles are in the same stock they had in WWI so an "A" may not necessarily mean it was rechambered. A rechambered rifle also might not still have the A, but they are so rare that the odds of actually running across one are pretty slim. Also, Finland re-used the re-remarked sights on lots of rifles so that's not necessarily and indication that the rifle was rechambered and then sleeved back to 7.62x54r either.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Somewere I've read that the rifles converted in 8x50mm were only marked with the "OEWG" mark .
This is not true.
Recently I saw a Dragoon rifle AZF marked on the top of the receiver, the rear sight was renumbered to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and the stock was "A" marked on the top and on the left side.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Finnish stocked with D marked Finnish barrel. Nothing to do with the trainer thread you posted it on? You need a new thread with a new header to find out more about your Sestroryetsk M91 which is 1894 dated. Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts