Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my newest additions.....

My first is a 1922 Dated (serial number 1911) Mk V Trial rifle,

I got this for a steal, it is all matching to include the forestock, beautiful shape. I just picked up the right cut off but have not installed it yet.

The next is a picture of my two SSA's both picked up in the past month, the top one is my 1917, it needs a little work (it has a savaged marked Mk 4 buttstock for instance) and has a non matching bolt

the 1916 is real nice it is all matching to include the magazine, and has several Australian and Lithgow stamps throughout, has a 1954 MA FTR stamp next to the safty. The only thing is it has a Mk4 forestock with an ishie screw, it was done well but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on this, should I change out the stock or is that something worth preserving on it.

The next three are the following

On top:

Canadian marked 1916 Enfield matching except the nose cap stock, import marked

middle;

1916 Enfield

Bottom:

1943 dispersal rifle non matching bolt import marked

This rifle is a 1918 BSA Co, nice shape, no import mark, but has an interesting stamp that has an eagle with the words "OSTERR GENDARMERIE" around it, this is "Austrian Police", I would love to hear anyones thoughts or information on these rifles.

This real nice piece is a 1940 dated Lithgow, all matching, nice solid stamping (MA) on 99% of the parts, nice stampings on the buttstock. Beautiful piece.

Two rifles that are not pictured that I also picked up recently are a 1941 dated No4 MK1 BSA Co. all matching

and a LSA CO 1918 dated SMLE (this is my second and I hooked a buddy up with it for his collection)

Sorry these pics are out of wack, I have not figured out how to add them to text yet!

thanks for looking!

Rmeyer

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
The Osterreich Gendarmerie rifles were issued to the Austrian police in the British zone of occupation after WWII. Easier to control the ammunition supply that way rather than giving them captured German stuff.

The Lithgow with the Ishy screw sounds like it has a typical late Indian No1 forestock on it rather than a No4 forestock. Quite a few 1950's FTR'd Australian rifles ended up in India.

Very nice rifles. Great find on that MkV! I wouldn't mind running across a '41 BSA No4 either.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how rare are the Austrian police stamped Enfields?

ya the 41 BSA is a real find, I wont tell you what I paid for it becuase it would make everyone cry.....

Thanks for the information jrhead

rmeyer

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
IIRC, there were around 50,000 Enfields given to the Austrians...but that number may be influenced by aging brain cells (or the lack thereof)...;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you all use for a price guide on your Enfields? I usually resort to checking completed auctions on Gunbroker but that can be hit or miss with the rarer types like the LSA Co 1918 and the No4 1941 BSA.

Rmeyer

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
My only guide tends to be the very careful comparison of bank account depletion/spousal hostility to how much I want a given rifle. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are forgetting on the lengths we go to perform spousal embezzlement...what she doesn't know won't hurt her!

I have to put a big thanks to Dave Sernio on the 1940 Lithgow, it is my first Australian piece and he advised me well.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mr. Meyer,Thank You,
I was very happy to be able to assist you in your purchase.... You were also very lucky I didn't have the time to browse around ;-). As I told you.. If you didn't want it.. I would have certainly bought it. Your pics didn't show the cut-off slot... another interesting feature on a less seen dated Lithgow. Take good care of it... it certainly is a very nice,original example of a Lithgow.

David

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Wow, I've been looking for a nice peddled scheme example for a couple of yrs now and you score two in a month! And a MKV on top of that! Congratulations indeed. After reading your post I have new hope that I'll find what I'm looking for before I'm eligible for Social Security...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ya it has been a very good month for the ole collection, I just grabbed a 1915 BSA all matching a week ago....It is funny you mentioned having hope to find the Enfields you want. The day before I got the Mk V trial, I just happened to be reading about them on line and thinking "its going to be a long time before I will get one of these, and when it does happen its going to cost me a arm and a leg" and then BOOM the very next day I run into one and the guy had NO idea what it was....I almost tore my wallet out through my pocket! Its a real beauty, I just installed the cut off tonight, so now she is complete! Well I hope next month will be as good as last month...now if I can only find a NRF!

Happy Hunting!
Ryan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts