Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I thought I was buying an SKS for my next tinkering project, but the seller warned me when he offered it that I wouldn't want to cut it up..... and he's right.

This is my first Chinese. It's a factory 26, serial number 1211#### with a 6 in a triangle stamped into the stock (pic), complete with spike bayonet and cleaning rod, but no cleaning kit. I'm having no luck working out a date, so any Chinese experts please feel free to step in!

I can't find an import mark on it everywhere, even under the barrel where I was clued in to look. The previous owner told me he bought it "as new" in the 80's and it's been sitting in his safe ever since. As the only wear of any note is around the muzzle (pic) I'm inclined to believe him. I've found a few little crevices still holding onto cosmoline and he said he had rubbed the stock with linseed oil a couple of times, but other than that it's hardly been shot and nothing has been tinkered with. When I stripped it, I found the magazine tough to get out, as the "heels" that are worn on my Yugo are still blued and not rounded off against the receiver!

I paid $200 and I'm feeling like a got a decent buy. Apart from a butt pad to give the stock some length (my biggest problem with the SKS) I think this one is going to be my "stock" example. Now I just need to source a Chinese cleaning kit..... and another Yugo for my project!

Pics:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never been able to get my head around the Chinese dating system, hence me asking for help :)

I'm very pleased with it, especially for the price I paid. I got it from the same fellow I got my Mossberg 500 kit from, which I was just as pleased with.

Soon as I get the buttpad on and can get to the range, I'll let you all know how it shoots! Or more accurately, I'll let you know how poorly I shoot with the standard SKS sights.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've had only one Norinco and I am not familiar with the little swirl to the right of the serial #, wat is that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had only one Norinco and I am not familiar with the little swirl to the right of the serial #, wat is that?
That's me obfuscating the last four digits of the serial number with photoshop because I am a computer literate bloke with no trust in my fellow man and his capacity for perfidity :)

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
put an ad in the WTB section, someone will have a cleaning kit. i just bought 2 original 10rd mags there, both were a good deal.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Oh, haha the dumass i am! Im just used to seeing them blacked out. Nice rifle anyway!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congratulations! Looks like you've scored a near mint, 1968-production Factory 26 rifle, at one time accepted into into the Chinese P.L.A., not just made for militia use in some far flung Chinese province, but for the inevitable (thought so by Chairman Mao at the time) U.S. invasion!. A rifle, every single part the equal to anything made by the Soviet's just fifteen years earlier.

Don't let that one get away. And at $200.00 these days, you stole a piece of history! Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yay! I can fend off the Capitalist Running Dog hordes now!

You know, all of my guns are Commie guns, except the Mossberg shottie and I suspect they are probably mostly made somewhere where beets are a delicacy :)

V

·
0 Posts
I personaly wouldnt bubba a sks anyway . They wont shoot any better all blinged out anyway. Try ak building ,or converting a post ban AK to preBAN STATUS .Or converting a Saiga to standard ak status . That would feed your tinkering desires without bubbaing any milsurps .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I personaly wouldnt bubba a sks anyway . They wont shoot any better all blinged out anyway. Try ak building ,or converting a post ban AK to preBAN STATUS .Or converting a Saiga to standard ak status . That would feed your tinkering desires without bubbaing any milsurps .
The Bubba/Not Bubba argument isn't one I'm going to restart here, but my Bubba-ing started specifically to make the SKS shoot better for me. The stock stock is too short for my height and pull, the sights are very difficult for my eyes and the Yugo I started with was massively front heavy which did nothing to aid accuracy for an offhand shooter who is massively out of practice.

I have since repaired all those issues and created a practical, functional rifle that suits my needs. In keeping the Chinese stock it will never shoot as well for me as my Yugo, but that's fine, it's pretty enough not to need to be purely functional.

There's a difference between customising something for function and randomly sticking tacticool bling on. I could build AK's, but that requires some skills I definitely don't have (welding) and tools I can't afford (welding gear, bending jigs, press). I've done everything I did to my rifle with a Dremel, hand tools and one borrowed specialty tool (Brownells muzzle crown tool) and learned a lot doing it, while having a whale of a time.

I understand how a collectors forum is always going to be pro-preservation/restoration, but a worn Yugo or other common SKS is a commonplace enough item that we won't miss one or two in my lifetime. Just my $0.02.

V

·
0 Posts
Theres enough chinese and yugo SKS already messed with to buy cheap. No need to take a pristene one and add another bubbaed rifle amongst the ranks . If you need a sks to mess up,please search for one you can do no harm to.As far as chinese being common .There will be no more brought into this country . So that common rifle lost that common status a long time ago. There are 4 at a local gunshop here all available for around 150.00 dollars. I could haggle them down even lower probably since they have been there for over a year.So someone took a 200.00 dollar fife and made them totaly undesireable to anyone but themselves or a select few people and lowered their value to ???. THe shop owner said he wouldnt dare accept another ,even in trade.I have one with a flake off the chrome lining of the bore and no front sight base,bayonet . .would need shortened and recrowned and scoped . Would part with for an FFL copy and a 75.00 money order. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I've looked for previously worked on rifles before, but haven't found any in a condition or at a price I was willing to pay. Most of the worked-on rifles I've found have had their prices vastly inflated to cover the cost of the aftermarket parts. I'm not willing to pay twice market!

Vlad, your PM is locked, feel free to send me a pm/email and we'll discuss the rifle you have for sale.

As for resale, I don't plan to sell any of my SKS's. They're simple, sturdy and effective and ideal rifles for a great many purposes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My take on mods is like Copperh3ad's: I just did what I thought it took to make my Norinco commercial better, IMO, for my purposes and easier for me to shoot well with.

When I bought it back in '87-'88, the idea that it might ever have any significant 'collector' value never occurred to me, and I still don't see that as being likely. I bought it primarily because it was pristine NIB, much better fitted and finished than my surplus Chinese example, and cost $120 tax included, with all the accessories (including chest bandoleer and 10 strippers) and 200 rds. of Norinco ball ammo to boot.

Back then, in my pre-bifocal days, I left the open irons alone as I could see them well enough to use effectively out to 200 yds or so. I slapped on a rubber extension pad, installed an ambi safety lever (I'm a southpaw), fitted the Keng's Red Star 20 rd. box that'd been on my surplus rifle and let it go at that.

Since then just a little has changed. I bought a receiver cover mount and 4X scope package from Keng's when it turned out to shoot a whole bunch more accurately than my surplus one did, mostly to get a better idea of how well I was doing compared to what it might be capable of with a more precise hold. Not as huge a difference as I'd hoped for, but enough for me to keep it on-hand for ammo testing.

Last year I installed a Williams Firesight FO front when the club changed the rules for our Any Country Military CF Rifle 'fun' matches to allow most aftermarket drop-on replacement irons. I was able to start placing regularly again, so I'm content.

Perhaps that makes me a 'Bubba', but at least I haven't made any changes that a few minutes couldn't restore back to as-issued configuration, and I sure can shoot it better with 'em in the meantime.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
that's the difference in a "bubba". a few minutes and the rifle can be restored..... one or two adds up fast, and yes, many circumstances may make the sks a collectors item, it already is in many eyes, such as mine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
While I'm not entirely dismissing the possibility that there may come to be some specific collector interest in issue-configuration Chinese commercial SKS carbines, I still don't expect to see that adding any significant premium to its relative value as a shooter in my lifetime.

They aren't exactly historical artifacts like the Russians or some of the surplus/war trophy Chinese. They don't incorporate unique features like the Albanians or Yugos. They don't have the rarity of the North Koreans or that any examples which could be directly provenanced to some of the former Warsaw Pact European nations such as Hungary, Poland, East Germany, etc. would, if in fact any such exist.

With the now exceedingly rare exception of a NIB w/all accessories example I haven't seen a plain vanilla, as-issued configuration Chinese commercial model that actually sold for much more than about $180 around here, and that amount only if it was in exceptionally nice condition. At that rate of appreciation (approx. 50% over original retail, or $60, in 19 years) I can't see where they've even kept up with inflation so far. Unless those collectors start chiming in real soon, the point is moot, IMO, and will be something for whomever I leave it to to worry about.

So I'll just go on shooting the whee! out of it, enjoying myself immensely and putting whatever doodads I fancy as making it 'better' for my personal use and enjoyment on it. If that's some sort of sacrilege, hand me my "bubba" hat and pass the Moon Pies!

·
Registered
490 Posts
You did great at that price.

I would have a hard time throwing a bubba-wrench on a minty example like that one......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts