Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got one of my bucket list handguns, an nice HK P7. I love the trigger on the P7; one of the best out there and hands down the most factory accurate pistol I have ever shot!

Along with my custom Combat Commander, I am all set for CCW.

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel

·
Registered
384 Posts
that is surplus police/security gun w/o commercial west german proofs, heat shield and with mag release in butt end. one of the few expensive guns worth the money and very accurate too. it's too bad it weights a "ton" by modern standards. the bottom one is modern rendition of genuine "antique" pistol designed by jmb ca. 1910. the p7 is worthy ccw if one is willing to put up with single stack mag and substantial weight the 1911 is much less suitable as ccw.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,945 Posts
Both very nice. That is a wicked looking little tanto blade.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The 1911 Commander is unsuitable as a CC pistol? That will be surprising to the MANY people who carry them daily. But, I am finding that some here tend to think their personal preferences and opinion is fact, and state it that way.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I carry the Commander most of the time when out in public, but around the property I carry the HK. Once I get some night sights on the P-7 I will start carrying it more. The Novak night sights on the commander really make the difference on carrying.

Weight wise, when you have 22 years packing a fully loaded M-9 plus spare mags, the P-7/1911 really isnt too much weight.

I sometimes I carry my grandpa's Series 70 as well. I have no problems carrying the 1911.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
77,303 Posts
Thanks guys, I carry the Commander most of the time when out in public, but around the property I carry the HK. Once I get some night sights on the P-7 I will start carrying it more. The Novak night sights on the commander really make the difference on carrying.

Weight wise, when you have 22 years packing a fully loaded M-9 plus spare mags, the P-7/1911 really isnt too much weight.

I sometimes I carry my grandpa's Series 70 as well. I have no problems carrying the 1911.
you are right. It all depends on what one is used to carrying.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
you are right. It all depends on what one is used to carrying.
Nice addition! I would love to get an hour on the range with that HK.

While not a pure 1911, if I carried a full size I would get a 17 shot 9mm variety over an 8 shot 45, but thats just personal preference. As I like pocket sized guns, I am really looking forward to the new sig 938, I do not do well with the big stuff, cushy desk job and big guns don't mix well for me. I like the modern 1911 concepts... para, ria, sig, colt, and others have really put some options on the table for those who want either capacity, smaller size, lighter weight, etc as alternatives to the timeless classic.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
With the Chip McCormack mags you can have 11 rounds of .45 acp on tap. I use the 8 rounders for CCW but normally carry 2 10 rounders for spares. I have considered a compact 9mm for light carry, but honestly with proper training & practice 8 rounds of .45 should get you through most encounters. It doesn't matter how many you have in the clip if you cant put them in center mass to end the fight.

I have a nice Taurus PT92Ar in 9mm, 18 shot, but its bigger than a standard 1911. I too love the modern concepts.

Speaking of a classic CCW platform, I have a Detonics MK VI on layaway right now. Thing is the size of a Walther PPK but a .45acp.

Nice addition! I would love to get an hour on the range with that HK.

While not a pure 1911, if I carried a full size I would get a 17 shot 9mm variety over an 8 shot 45, but thats just personal preference. As I like pocket sized guns, I am really looking forward to the new sig 938, I do not do well with the big stuff, cushy desk job and big guns don't mix well for me. I like the modern 1911 concepts... para, ria, sig, colt, and others have really put some options on the table for those who want either capacity, smaller size, lighter weight, etc as alternatives to the timeless classic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've carried my P7 most days this past two years, easy to do. Like the fact that it can be loaded and unloaded completely safely and the cocking mechanism makes it (a bit) more difficult to use against me :) Mine doesn't like >124gr loads so I tend to load NATO BALL. I use a kydex tuckable or the German Polizei OWB and have had no problems. Also like to carry the SIG P6, with either I never thought the 9 round limitation was significant as they are deadly accurate.... Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The more I carry the P7 the more I love the compactness and natural CCW ability of the platform. This thing molds itself to your hip a lot better than the Commander; although the Commander is easy to carry as well. I am using 147 grain jacketed hollowpoints right now in the P7 but am going to try the Hornady Critical Defense loads similar to what I use in the Colt.

Guys if you get a chance to purchase one of these P7's grab it!

·
Administrator
18,874 Posts
I put Meprolight night sights in a P-7 once. The dovetail for the front sight is the tightest I ever had to deal with. It was so tight that I bent the new sight trying to put it in. Meprolight sent me a replacement, overnight, along with an envelope to return the one I bent at no charge. The replacement sight went in without a problem after a couple of passes with a micro-fine file to make sure it was smooth.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
103,486 Posts
that is surplus police/security gun w/o commercial west german proofs, heat shield and with mag release in butt end. one of the few expensive guns worth the money and very accurate too. it's too bad it weights a "ton" by modern standards. the bottom one is modern rendition of genuine "antique" pistol designed by jmb ca. 1910. the p7 is worthy ccw if one is willing to put up with single stack mag and substantial weight the 1911 is much less suitable as ccw.
"Put up with single stack?" "Substantial weight much less suitable?"

I guess the weight issue is one of personal preference, but my guns are almost all steel-famed and i haven't noticed that they don't carry OK. The big S&Ws with the target grips don't conceal well, that's true. But in a proper rig, they carry fine.

Now as to single stack magazines - just how many gunfights in the real world have you been in? Very seldom IN THE REAL WORLD (as opposed to range games) of use of defensive handguns are a whole lot of shots required to end the trouble. Fairly typical was a shooting two door down from out house (family dispute, more or less). Two shots fired, self-defense situation, and it was over. Oh - the gun was a 45, single stack.

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,915 Posts
Talking about the single stack handguns. My Kahr P45 accepts standard 1911 mags so the one in your pocket gives you a litlle bit of an advantage.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I carry a kel tec pII and a glock 23. I used to Carry a star bm, which isn't much difference size wise. I think the hk is a neat pistol, but man do they cost. I hope you love your new peices. If I could carry anything, I would be torn between the g23 and the 1911.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,945 Posts
Also as to single stack, it is easy to carry a spare mag since the mag is small.
And you can get 10rd Chip McCormick mags. I have three for my 1911A1. Single stack, but affords a lot of fire power if you feel the need.
I never leave home without one or two extra.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
77,303 Posts
And you can get 10rd Chip McCormick mags. I have three for my 1911A1. Single stack, but affords a lot of fire power if you feel the need.
I never leave home without one or two extra.
The most I carry is one extra mag. Sometimes not even one. I figure that if I need more than that, I really have problems and probably will not survive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.