Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this Type-99 today at the gunshow. Its T-99. I know its later model, because it has peep flip up sight instead of V notch, but not last ditch, because it does not have simplified one screw rear sling ring. has simplified bolt handle.
few pic I took before battery dies(I got to keep it charged man)

intact mum - biggest reason why I bought it.

overall (sorry no flash. I was on degital camera's last ditch of battery power)

simplified handle

serial #

I think its been refinished. Stock is too shinny. But without taking it apart, i can see at at least bolt and extracter are matching number with gun. So when I get more time later today, I'll take it apart and do more detailed pictures.
Can someone tell me what series of serial number is this?

THey also had matching and intact mum T-44. BUt just could not squeeze the money out...

·
Gold Bullet member
4,322 Posts
You have a Nagoya 6th series rifle; a fairly early "transition" type. You are correct, the stock has been sanded and refinished. Some #0000 steel wool and oil will clean the metal nicely... don't go to town; just take off the surface rust. The secret is knowing when to stop. You can also look for a correct screw in rod to make your rifle complete. Welcome to the board, enjoy!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So i took it apart. Unfortunatly, Stock has been refinished at one point. Sigh....

But At least all the number match. So thats plus. Bore does not look like chromed. But i could be mistaken. No pitting or anything like that on the bore. Infact, it was caked on old grease. took me a while to clean it.
I'm asumming this will make fine shooter.

Here is few more pics next to my prized Matching #'ed, excellent shaped Type 38 cavalry rifle.
side by side, rough condition of T99 is very appearent tho...

So whats this screw in rod look like? it feels like thread is only about 4-5" past hole (my cleaning rod from 38 will not goin no more then 4-5")? Perhaps someone can direct me to proper place for repro(if any?)?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nagoya Cleaning Rod

Mity2, I have a Nagoya series 6, s/n 86992 and the correct cleaning rod for your rifle will
be 4 and 7/8" long, INCLUDING the threaded portion which is 7/16" in length.Take a look
at our TRADER boards and try posting for a rod in the "wanted" section.good luck.

Charlie

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Mity2,
you have the scoop on what to look for and the trader is a good place to start; the short rod is scarcer than the long one as it was used in just a few series. Also the Nagoya rod is 1/4" diameter and the Toyo Kogyo rod is 3/16"-another question to ask.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts