Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Figgerd id post a picture of a Wilkinson i just Bought. See how the board handles up loads.
this is alot nicer than the other one i had that was pitted from Blood.
This one will be on its way to me soon.
I like this type of Board 100 times better than that recent crappy one!
Good work to the powers that BE!!!

Click on pic to enlarge

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
Lack of money prevented from buying a friends Wilkinson a long time ago, but I made up for it by picking up a nice no4 Webley. NO its NOT a Mk4 but a No4. much much earlier.
.455/476

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Wilkinson

Sorry that the picture sucks, but I was given (yes, given) this Model 1900 many years ago. Basicly the same gun but with an improved cylinder latch.

Has some initials engraved into the german silver escutchen on the back of the butt. I sent the Wilkinson number to Richard Milner and he looked it up in the sales records.

It was bought in from the makers in Dec 1903 and sold to a Second Lieutenant in the 11th Hussars in Aug 1904, the same month that he got his commission. He was promoted to Captain in 1914 and was mentioned in dispatches in 1916.

I have traded and sold a few of my Webleys but never considered getting rid of this one.
A bloody big handful of a revolver. Internals and bore are mint.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I just went through the underground war rooms in London. They display a Wilkinson revolver that "Churchill carried throughout his military service". It was my impression that
he carried a Mauser automatic, and refered to it in "Charge against thr Dervishes" .
I also seemed to recall that he kept this pistol through WW2. Any inputs?.
Anyway there it is, a beautiful revolver.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Churchill carried the Mauser in the Sudan (1898) and then while serving as a War Correspondent in South Africa during the Boer War (not the only time he arranged for leave in order to get to the scene of action as a newspaper correspondent). However, when he was captured in November of 1899 he was unarmed, having left his Mauser pistol behind on the armoured train he had been travelling in after it was attacked and derailed, having got out to reconnoitre ... As far as I know, he never saw the pistol again.

Here is a link to an online account, with a description of the events in Churchill's own words:

http://genealogyworld.net/boer/capture.html

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Nice Pistol, . . long fan of Webleys I'm not familiar with the "Wilkinson" term. What's it mean ? refer to ? . . .
Wilkinson was a well known British sword making firm that commissioned gunmakers to supply them firearms to their spefications. No matter where the guns came from, they were fitted and finished to the highest degree. Those that Webley supplied had a mixture of features that made them unique.

·
Registered
340 Posts
thanks

Wilkinson was a well known British sword making firm that commissioned gunmakers to supply them firearms to their spefications. No matter where the guns came from, they were fitted and finished to the highest degree. Those that Webley supplied had a mixture of features that made them unique.

Thanks for the info, . . . good shootin', . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts