Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Carcano collector.
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this beauty up at a gun show last weekend. Bore is damn good. Not the era of my collection but it was used up until the end of WW2. Still having trouble getting the locking screw out so I can get the trigger guard off.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Bah, the Mauser purists are getting picky, but we of the Steyr, BPCR, and Everything Else forum are far more friendly.

That's a rough looking 88. But, as you said, good bore. The barrel jacket and long service history often make people take one look at these rifles and scorn them, and then somebody finally breaks down, buys one, and can't believe how good the bore is and how well it shoots.

After all, other than the barrel, breech, trigger, and sights, all the rest of the rifle's just meant for ergonomics, the metal's where the performance lies.

So, details! What year, arsenal, regimental markings on the barrel bands? Turkified? Czech replacement barrel? S-mark? Notch?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Believe the header at the top of the page says Gew 88"s.How much did you pay for it?At one time Gun Parts Corp had repo cleaning rods if you what to replace the missing one. Also Springfield Sporters has 88 parts if needed. If your going to shoot it slug the bore.88"s run from .316.5 up to .323 with lots of .318 bores in between.Dont just chamber a 8mm surplus round ,and hope for the best.

·
Registered
Carcano collector.
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I walked out of the show with it for 130 bucks. It's does not seem to be Turked. Can't get the guard screw out so I can disassemble it. It's a 1891 Loewe Berlin. Can't find an S-code. Mismatched numbers. Can't find a regiment on it. Bolt works like butter after I cleaned it.

Notch?

·
8,105 Posts
I walked out of the show with it for 130 bucks. It's does not seem to be Turked. Can't get the guard screw out so I can disassemble it. It's a 1891 Loewe Berlin. Can't find an S-code. Mismatched numbers. Can't find a regiment on it. Bolt works like butter after I cleaned it.

Notch?
Not Turked, It is Ecuadorian surplus.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Kroil & time

I had aworse looking 71/84, that I know I spent at lest 2 weeks on. Every day I would put on Kroil, put a little pressure on my screwdriver then tap it a few times with a hammer. I tapped on my screwdriver enought that now it take a pair of pliers to change the blade. But it broke loose without breaking or stripping.;)

·
Silver Bullet member
2,175 Posts
soldering iron works for heat, I have a brace that hold it against whatever, for as long as I need. An impact screw driver is a must on these. If you have to, order new screws from Springfield Sporters and drill the heads off.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Dont just chamber a 8mm surplus round ,and hope for the best.
I seem to remember that one of the gun magazine articles mentioned that many of these rifles were arsenal converted to accept the regular 8mm Mauser ammo. The chamber will be stamped with an "S" proof indicating that it can shoot the then new type 1905 Spitzer bullets.

A friend of mine used to shoot commercial FEDERAL 8mm Mauser ammo in his Commission 88 rifle...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.