Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
What ammo? Factory 9mmP, a similarly strong handload, or a mild handload?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply
Factory ammo Monarch 115 gr and Winchester 115 gr
Someone mentioned extractor spring but don't know how or where to remove and check extractor or spring not sure how to locate??

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Thanks for the reply
Factory ammo Monarch 115 gr and Winchester 115 gr
Someone mentioned extractor spring but don't know how or where to remove and check extractor or spring not sure how to locate??
The extractor is hinged, on the right side just aft of the breechface. The spring is, UNDER the extractor of course. There is a pin, very slightly visible (it's a VERY SMALL PIN) about 1/2" aft of the breechface of the slide.

Unload the pistol, remove the slide, turn the slide upside down, and you will find the corresponding end of the pin. Tap it upward using a VERY SMALL punch (I think I used a 1/16" drill bit(ground flat), or something similar). It sould not take a great deal of force to drive the pin upwards. Shortly before the pin comes out of the slide, it come off of the extractor, letting the extractor slide sideways out of the slide. The spring is right behind (aft of) the pin (so as to push the front of the extractor inward). Remove, clean everything thoroughly, I stretched the spring VERY CAREFULY back out to arround 0.200" long.

While the extractor is out, inspect it carefully, use magnification if possible, for any damage or rounding wear to the extractor claw, also for any roughness or burrs to the entire extractor.
Re-assemble the extractor assy., lube it all lightly (I use CLP mostly). re-assemble pistol and test.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Please save yourself much grief, remove the extractor in a sterile room so finding it is not impossible. I ended up making a new extractor out of a knife blade for my Budischowsky .25. It had to be stainless and I didn't have facilities to harden stainless so it had to start out hard, a cheap Chinese knife did the trick, 50+ RC, I did most of the work with a surface grinder, took hours! So much easier to take extra care when removing the original.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just tape over the outside of the slide and extractor before driving the pin out.
Or put the slide in a plastic bag before driving the pin out
Uh is this something a novice like me should be trying to do?
Or with precaution am I going to be oK?
I'd like to examine and clean and get this pistol working properly!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
It's not rocket science. It's just driving out a small pin. You just need a good hard 1/16" punch, or the shank of a drill bit which is harder and less likely to bend than a cheap punch. The spring is short, but it's still a spring. It will seek freedom if you give it a chance.
For that matter, the spring isn't super-critical. If you lose it, you can buy one of similar diamter and wire size at your local hardware store and cut to length. Then order a new spring and pin from Star

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
There is not a huge ammount of pressure on that spring. You can tape the extractor, or you can hold your finger over it while stabalizing the slide inverted on your table-top area. Whatever makes you happy so as to not loose parts.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how to get my firing pin out for inspection and cleaning in THAT area, especially since the pistol has seen at least 1,000 rounds since I bought it and that area remains untouched.

I de-pin my 1911 clone and EAA Witness every couple-thou rounds and de-crud there before issues start.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.