Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked this up on Auction Arms not long ago and picked it up at the local FFL yesterday. Some ya-hoo tried to make a sporter out of it, sadly, but it's restoreable. My one question concerns the barrel. It's not marked "HV" for the high velocity round. Or, did that simply mean the sights were changed? Otherwise, I plan to have fun! I've got a set of hand guards and sliding charger on the way and a line on a new forestock. Of course, your comments welcomed. Forgot to mention, it's marked "Sparkbrook, 1905."

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Nice looking action and the wood what there is of it looks nice.

Can you tell if the last half to one third of the bore shows signs of being lapped out to a couple of thousandths oversize?
I've been trying to remember which model of these older Enfields were modified in this way to avoid excess strain on the action from the later type cartridges.

The sporterization reminds me of some photos of professional Deer Hunters in New Zealand back when some transplanted species of Deer began to over run the place pushing out native game.

Hope you can find the parts you need, Ill keep an eye open as I look for parts for some of my projects.

Probably should check out the possibility of this being a kosher sporter conversion by a name company.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
The high velocity mod was accomplished by shaving down the backsight bed to recalibrate the sights for the flatter shooting round. The volley sight dial plate was also renumbered. Unfortunately, your backsight bed is gone, but chances are it was unmodified.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
As you might have noticed from my post over at Jouster...I missed the obvious in my answer above re the backsight. If it's a MkI***, it's had the HV mod done, and should be so marked. It's possible that one of those holes have obliterated the HV stamp, as it's pretty small on these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts