Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this a few months ago at the San Diego gun show. I've had a winchester .22 and a ruger mini 14 for a few years now, but they never really grabbed me.
However, the first time I fired the M44 I was totally hooked. As one of my friends said of his experience with it, "Now I know where the word kaboom comes from."
I got this guy for $80 on the dot. I am very pleased with the accuracy this firearm has maintained for it's age. Out of 20 rounds I fired I hit the target pretty close to center twice at 150yards. Most of the other shots got very close as well. It was also absolutely hilarious when a round went a little to south and hit the wood holding up the target effectivly downing it. Looking at it later the wood was riddled with .22 holes, but one 7.62 finished it off.
The pics of me firing are literally mid recoil. Look at my face. hahaha.

Also just yesterday at the Orange County gun show, I picked up an M91. I wasn't really in the market, especially for the prices that most people had there. For example a few similar yet more worn M91s were going for $250. I got mine for $150 with sling, stripper clips and ammo bag. Haven't had a chance to fire it. Can't wait to compare the too.

I guess as a novice my only question is aside from cleaning after firing what else should I do to maintain their present condition?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Nice looking rifles Mike. Other than cleaning they don't really need anything. Your M91 looks to be a M91/30 however. Most likely an ex-dragoon rifle in a later stock.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,134 Posts
Nice looking rifles Mike. Other than cleaning they don't really need anything. Your M91 looks to be a M91/30 however. Most likely an ex-dragoon rifle in a later stock.
+1 on what Windstar said.

Welcome to Gunboards!

·
Registered
485 Posts
For more info on your rifles ---> http://www.7.62x54R.net

If you are shooting with milsurp ammo, make sure you clean the barrel and bolt with warm soapy water first. The primers have corrosive salts in them and only water will dissolve and clean it. Then use the usual oil. Spraying with WD40 after will displace (WD Water Dispacement) the water. Other people use other stuff but the infantryman could wash, shave, and clean his weapon out of his helmet.

I wouldn't mind having an ex-dragoon myself. Good buy.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Congrats on some fine mosins!!!!
As far as storage I would just wipe them down and the bore with a little oil/CLP breakfree to keep from rusting depending on the humidity in your area.
Looking forward to a range report with the M91/30, I like the background in your shooting photo.:)

·
Registered
603 Posts
"Now I know where the word kaboom comes from."
:eek: Gotta Love That M44 KaBOOM!

I swear that I could feel the heat from my son's muzzle blast from over five feet away.

I really love your two Izhevsk made Mosin rifles. They look beautiful; you got a good deal.

As far as upkeep, I clean and oil them, store them with care, inspect them frequently--my wife thinks that i sleep with them, too. :D

·
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:eek: Gotta Love That M44 KaBOOM!

I swear that I could feel the heat from my son's muzzle blast from over five feet away.

I really love your two Izhevsk made Mosin rifles. They look beautiful; you got a good deal.

As far as upkeep, I clean and oil them, store them with care, inspect them frequently--my wife thinks that i sleep with them, too.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend feels the same way. I love how you can feel the heat behind the person shooting. Some of the other shooters there that day mentioned that after they walked past me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.