Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my rifle from Classic. Overall , I'm pretty tickled. I ordered the turned down bolt option, matching numbers, cosmetics, etc.
It's a nice rifle, with an awesome bore. But, I.M.H.O. the rifle (stock) seems to be on the "beefy" side compared to my Yugo refurbed K98. The 24/47 seems thicker in the wrist of the stock. Not the sleek K98 stock I was expecting.
Please know, I am, in no way, complaining. I am just sort of surprised at the differience (sic) between the two rifles.
Thank you Classic!
Wendell

·
Registered
650 Posts
Some of the 24/47s came with reused walnut stocks that were salvaged from the earlier Model 1924s. They are chocolate brown and tend to be sleeker, the beefier stocks were cut new for some M24/47s and are also standard on M48 series rifles. The believe the beefy stocks are elm.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have a Century Arms M24/47 and the stock appears to have been from an M24. You can see where the swivel just rear of the wrist has been removed and a slightly different color piece of wood has been inserted. I'm thinking that the beefier M24/47s don't have this. I also have a Yugo reworked German K98 and my M24/47 is sleeker.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Pictures?! :)

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you're asking me for pictures, I don't have a camera. The inserted piece of wood goes all the way through the
stock, possibly to repair a damaged stock? Also it really isn't any sleeker than my K98, it just looked that way
because the stock has a much nicer finish because of it being refurbed.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Curt.
Probably what you have is a former "carbine" stocked 24/47. The original model 1924 rifles had standard swivels on the bottom of the rifle. But, they made two "carbine" types. In Yugoslav military parlance, a long arm with sling attachments on the side was a "carbine." Therefore the M1924 carbines were no different dimensionally as the "rifles."

When they refurbished the weapons after WWII, they decided they didn't need any "carbines" so those so equipped had the side swivels removed and the hole plugged. The front side band on the carbines had a fixed loop on a wide band as opposed to the common narrow band on the "rifles." So odds are your 24/47 has a wide front band too (though not necessarily).
Below are two unmodified Yugoslav model 1924 longarms- one "rifle" and the other at TII carbine. The type I had a bent bolt arm. The "rifle" on the left and on right with the red back ground, a TII "carbine." It is in an original shellac finish. That may suggest gendarmerie or special guards unit issue.

wbrown:
Your "thick wristed" stock is most likely, almost surely a new replacement stock, probably elm. That is what they commonly used on M48s and the replacement 24/47 stocks were built more like the heavier M48 stocks excepting hardware. The original model 1924 was slimmer than the M48, more like the M98 and then the stocks got a good sanding over making them even slimmer than they originally were.
Below I show a picture of an M48 in an elm and one in walnut (I think!) stock... In the thumbnails, the elm stocked rifle, an M48bo is 3rd from left and the walnut M48B last to right.
(And yes, I like striped stocks!;))

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,531 Posts
I looked at mine feels the same as the k98...

·
Silver Bullet Member
10,193 Posts
My favorite 24/47 has a reddish walnut stock. It just seems harder than the later, thick wrist stocks. The thin stocks point better, too.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Mine has an ex-carbine stock and elm handguard. the stock was rough-sanded but not finished when I got it and felt kind of wet, I think they sanded it without stripping off the old finish.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
My favorite 24/47 has a reddish walnut stock. It just seems harder than the later, thick wrist stocks. The thin stocks point better, too.
Are you sure it's walnut? A lot of these rifles are put into newer elm replacement stocks cut to stouter M48 standard.

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
WoW! That's a beaut indeed!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
588 Posts
TMann,
That's the most beautiful Yugo stock I have ever seen! The 24/47s seem to still be a good value these days.

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
I had that one for sale on the WTS Board about a year and a half ago for $225.00. It had the Polish style of reddish stain applied to it. When it didnt sale, I stripped it to see what was under it, then applied numerous coats of BLO to it. This is what was hiding under the stain. I have a weakness for Tiger Stripe and Little Guns. i.e. G-33/40, Spanish Cavalry Carbines, Swedish M94, etc. Needless to say this one went into my permanent collection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts