Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have gone t*t's-up.

I went to use them this morning - kept under a hard cover on my loading bench - and when I turned it in - it read 'EE' which equals 'overload'.

I changed out the bateries, just in case, although that was not the reading for low battery - no difference.

I know that they are pretty old, but as I live in UK, are they worth getting back to the US to fix, or do I put it in the trash?

tac

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,636 Posts
Sounds like maybe something is binding. Remove the platen the scale pan sets on. Cherck for crumpet crumbs, lint and beagle hair, anything that would impede free movement.

REassemble and see if you can either zero the scale or put it into a calibration status.

If it won't recalibrate, the pressure sensitive cell may be old or damaged. Or there may be a stuck lever or broken spring that otherwise prevents the cell assembly from bottoming out - not sure how its' built. Look for physical problems, then try to re-calibrate.

If all else fails, contact RCBS:

email: [email protected]
phone: 800 533-5000
FAX: 530-533-1647

·
Silver Bullet member
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like maybe something is binding. Remove the platen the scale pan sets on. Cherck for crumpet crumbs, lint and beagle hair,
Do you mean that I should check that I HAVE crumpet crumbs, lint and beagle hair, or that I should remove it if found?

Hmmm. Tricky one, that.

I think that you're getting me mixed up with some Brit who has an RCBS digital scale.....;)

Me, I don't have crumpets [not kosher, y'see], lint [?], or a beagle. I take on the bit about the pressure sensitive element though - now THAT, I DO have. :thumbsup:

Best

tac

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,636 Posts
Folow milpreb's advice and ignore the RCBS stuff. Look for anything impeding free travel of the platen. The overloaded indicator suggests something has bottomed out and is stuck.

Were you in North America, you could substitute raisin bread toast crumbs for crumped debris, and if you're bound and determinde to stuff anything else inside, I have generous quantities of shed Siamese fur I could lend to the project.

·
Registered
19,288 Posts
yes they can fix it by selling you one that works properly now and later
Not so fast t here, I got the RCBS and it cost a ton to have t hem fix it. My buddy with a Lyman has updated his unit with Lyman upgrades over the years and his unit is still very much operational.

I baby my RCBS but I only warn anyone: when the RCBS unit begins to be problematic, they'll repair it for a very stiff fee....go ahead, call RCBS and ask on that and then BLINK hard.

Tac: an email to Lyman may help you . If that is a issue gaining their attention, send the email to me and I will call them and press for answers over the phone and report back to you .

Lyman offers upgrade unit parts to drop in, RCBS does not. Whether Lyman vs RCBS vs Hornady units are better made or more trustworthy.... they are all pricey and no one has bought all 3 and stated his results. When my RCBS dies, I will buy the Hornady as its about the cost of having the old RCBS repaired .

·
Registered
14,346 Posts
I have two digital scales - both inherited from a friend. One Dillon and the other is the RCBS made by PACT.

I store both of them under a clear plastic dish to protect from dust, crud and small objects being dropped on them.
So far so good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts