Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
647 Posts
How do you know its police and not military?

Nice honest wear on that one

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk
It was advertised as police by seller. So I’m going off their description. Bought from Aim in 2012. Quite a few on the market at that time. No discernible proofs that I can see other than FN. SN 245NVxxxxx. 1995 mfgr date. Some black paint residue.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
FNUSA has just announced an "ultra modern" version of the HP with all the "bells & whistles" of newer pistols. IMHO it's over complicated and ugly.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Everyday carry

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am not here to start the debate on which caliber is better and so on. I just want to show you my little but growing collection of Hi Powers. Top two are 1943 German issue and the bottom is 1944 Canadian Inglis. Thanks for looking, John

View attachment 3924932
Very nice. I hope you have a great 2022. I carried a High Power in my flight vest for the 15 years I flew instead of the .38 airweight (first) then old .45's they issued us later on. Wasn't really supposed to carry a personal weapon, but I wanted more than 5-7 shots and no reloads.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice start to collecting High Powers. By the way it's High Power, not Hi Power. What's next on your want list? They are addictive. The ones with a crest can be hard to find.
Dan
I beg to differ with "scandiknivars" about the Browning trademark. Here's a scan of my owner's manual cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
You do realize that the booklet you are referring to is for Browning pistols made by FN for the U.S. market. The rest of the world calls them FN High Powers. Only we Americans call them HI Power and that is in reference to those sold under the Browning brand name here in the U.S.A. I don't really want to get into a discussion on the semantics of the name. Call them what you wish.
Dan

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
After the Inglis pistols were rebuilt numerous times their original designation was probably replaced a time or two. Perhaps a reader who served in the Canadian military will have some input.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
As late as 2012, Canada still had many score of unissued Inglis pistols, still in their original wrappings, stored away. I have little doubt they're still there, and that they'll be scrapped without ever being touched at all since the day they left the John Inglis factory.

Seems a shame.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I only own 2 HP clones: Tisas Regent HP9SS (stainless) bought NEW + Plated model SA-80 made by FEG for MAUSER bought used & I refurbished. I liked the workmanship on the stainless Tisas so much - I bought a stainless Turkish clone of a CZ-75B - my Sarsilmaz 2000 DA/SA - It's like an HP with super powers.
The only FN I really want is a vector model with tangent sights.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
2Psteel6, Where did that information come from? I have serious doubts pistols would be rebuilt as their Government has for many years if there was a supply of unused arms that could be put into service at no cost.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
2Psteel6, Where did that information come from? I have serious doubts pistols would be rebuilt as their Government has for many years if there was a supply of unused arms that could be put into service at no cost.
I found it on another forum, perhaps 1911forum.com? The poster was a Canadian and had a pic of a new-in-wrap Inglis wth an intact lend-lease decal. Seemed knowledgeable, and from what I know of military procurement, it sounded reasonable that they'd keep a certain number in reserve.

I'd assume that once a military unit takes a piece of equipment into its property book, it stays there come hell or high water; the unit manages its FTRs through the armorer. New, reserve pistols wouldn't be shipped to that unit until the original ones were totally unserviceable after several FTRs.

That's how it works in our army, anyway. The army is full of junked M9s, but there are still a bunch of centrally stored ones too. That's why it sounded reasonable to me.

I'll try to find the post.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Please do, I still remain skeptical.

Post #10.

Tens of thousands of Inglis pistols were built. A few went to China, many went to Britain; many more did not. Some, obviously, were lost or rendered unserviceable over the years, but how many did the postwar army actually need?

I have no idea. But the Canadian army's current needs are, what, 8k pistols? That's a tiny number, and over the years is it outside the realm of possibility to imagine that a few hundred or thousand (a TINY percentage of the production) never did get issued?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
2 P steel, Opinion, where are the facts? Unfortunately with the Limey way of thinking all will be destroyed because a real civilian human being cannot be trusted with a weapon that could be used against the Government or protect himself and family Consequently, destroy all those evil items but only lightly prosecute crooks cause the jail becomes full if the crooks are inside.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
2 P steel, Opinion, where are the facts? Unfortunately with the Limey way of thinking all will be destroyed because a real civilian human being cannot be trusted with a weapon that could be used against the Government or protect himself and family Consequently, destroy all those evil items but only lightly prosecute crooks cause the jail becomes full if the crooks are inside.
I don’t know, and neither do you. The man who made that post appears better-informed than either of us.

But you’re right; it doesn’t matter in the end.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts