Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since gunhorde is coming to this area soon I decided to move quick. At a local shop I found two Mausers. One a GEW98. A Danzig made in 1918 and the other a dou made in 1944. I disassembled abd cleaned the dou. There was a ton of debris under the stock. Reminded me of Finnish rifles and the pine needles often found. Serian number is 03497 with the letter "P" under it. Non matching anything, but the bore is cleaning up nicely and it passes the go nogo guage tests. It is not a Russian refurb and stamped on the barrel is "FED ORD INC S. E. M. CA".

The Danzig is also non matching and there is a crack in the stock running in an almost horizontal line form the rear bottom plate screw for about 5". "S/42G" under the front sights on the right side of the rifle and the serial number is 2331 and what looks like a script letter b under it. I can see no import marks on it but I have not yet disassembled it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it does have the Czech front sight protector on it. Something I had never seen or heard of before yesterday. Mausers are not my strong point. I only get them when they speak to me a bit. It definitely shows signs of it's late war manufacture date. The bolt has round gas escape holes in it and the extractor was so tight that I could barely chamber a round or even work it. I finally just replaced it. Mechanically it works fine now. The stock is poorly finished and has lots of scuffs on it. I really want to sand down the stock and refinish it, but I won't do that. It sure would look a lot prettier though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The GEW98 is actually an arsenal rework and conversion of an GEW98 to the S/42G. The conversion to a more modern rifle was done in the mid 30's at the Mauser Obendorf works. The ski-jump rear sights were replaced with 98K type sights. Nice rifles, I'm looking at picking one up in the near future.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smokehouse69

Thanks for the info. I don't really have much more than a basic knowledge of Mauser military rifles. The rework explains the rifle's good condition, and mismatched parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts