Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
My Money ($260 ?) for a Carcano Cavalry Carbine went to DK Firearms, on Recommendations from people on this Site back in April; and I couldn't be happier.
Before placing the Order, I called and spoke to Todd (?) who said he'd be the one actually filling my Order. I stated that I didn't want a Hand Select, but could he send me one earlier than the Late 30s; being that I already had 2 from the 40s.
He replied that he 'had his eye' on one from the Teens with the field modification Wing Nut added to the Bayonet.
I said 'I can't take that one if you want it, but see what you can do'.
So when I picked it up from the FFL, Holy Moly if it wasn't the Wing Nut Carbine, FROM 1915 !
I wouldn't hesitate going to DK again !

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe the problem is that the supply of decent milsurps is drying up. In an era long ago (1950s-60s) I can remember going to Ye Olde Hunter in Alexandria and taking my pick of some really fantastic weapons at decent prices; gun shops had loads of 98ks, G43s, not to mention Garands, M1 carbines, Springfields, Arisakas - you name it. Sears was selling Garands like new (I regrettably passed up on a mint International Harvester) for a hundred bucks, but then again, a hundred bucks those days was not pocket change. C'est la vie.
I remember those days even J C Penny sold mil-surp rifles back then M-1 Garands and Mausers not just a few but they had a 100 rifles in stock. The only problem with theirs was they were all batched cleaned and mis matched rattle traps for $150 like you say was`nt pocket change as a typical mortgage then was around $150 a month. Can`t expect much these days as the pickings are slim over seas but I notice on the news outlets that Ukraine and Russia are bringing up some nice oldies into service but one thing for sure none of them will make it to the market.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I’ve purchased several times from them, and each purchase has been some blend of unexpected disappointment and pleasant surprise. I’ve just accepted this reality. I keep what I like, and trade away what I don’t. And yes, I lose some money in the process. But only in the short term. The stuff I keep will be worth far more than I paid in a few years. If 20 years of collecting has taught me anything, it’s that today’s “slightly overpaid” is tomorrow’s “good old days”. Their business model is chaotic and sloppy & their grading woefully inconsistent. Knowledge of the finer points of variant minutia? Nonexistent. It’s endlessly frustrating, but there’s nothing I can do about them. Fact is that for some things they are the only game in town. The thing is, it’s always been like this. Importers are generally ignorant to some degree, they undervalue & overvalue. They under-estimate & over-estimate. Their game is based on volumes: they don’t have time to dig through everything and sell them one at a time with individual ads and photos, and if they did it would cost twice as much! That’s how one guy ends up with an ex-pu nagant for $100, and another guy ends up with the most ordinary nagant for the same price. Collectors & more knowledgeable dealers buy imported inventory, then proceed to assign appropriate values to the individual items on their merits. Choosing not to buy because of inconsistent grading just means that you can pick exactly what you want later on: junk at slight discount or treasure at a premium. I will personally say I’m glad they have brought all this stuff in, the good and the ugly. Because no one else was doing it. I’m sure in 10 years people will look back and moan about how “if only I bought 20 of them” etc.
Koba 49 had a recent video on his experience with them but like he says some of those items are hard to come by despite being assembled out of parts piles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I picked one up from DK for $260 and one from RTI for $179. I had about the same experience with both. Fast shipping, well packaged and good communication. The carbines are about the same with condition. Personally, I’ve not had a bad experience, however others have.
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Ah shoot I just bought a Carcano ts from them. Hopefully it's good. they offered my hand select fee back or exchange. I chose to take the 50 and have them 325. Damn vintage rifle collection. Am making a wall display equiped with stamps and coins of the fascist period.

I now have 1 Italian Vetterli 1 Carcano 7 Carcano moschettos and 1 ts carbine.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Ah shoot I just bought a Carcano ts from them. Hopefully it's good. they offered my hand select fee back or exchange. I chose to take the 50 and have them 325. Damn vintage rifle collection. Am making a wall display equiped with stamps and coins of the fascist period.

🤣🤣🤣 wait…did you admit to buying another rifle from RTI on your own “I’m never buying from them again” post 🤣🤣

·
Registered
774 Posts

I thought you were done with them after your lengthy rant? 🤣

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
No it was from rti I guess I don't know what to make of them. I go back and forth look I looked all over and some of the prices were ridiculous for the troop special. A lot of the places didn't even have them in stock.

I needed one to complete my Italian collection. And yes I appreciate the irony.

I wish I was on commission or got some type of discount but I don't. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that with all the hubbub I caused with them that they'll send me a good one this time.

Too many conspiracy theories seriously I'm just a guy trying to build up a vintage rifle collection. Believe it or not. Again in no way would I recommend or not recommend buying from RTI. At this point I'm going to say I don't know. Buy from them if you want or not how's that for vested interest?

Everything they say is true sometimes you'll get a decent one sometimes you'll get crap one. It is like rolling the dice. I think the only way to be sure is to purchase one hopefully or ask for pictures to be sent of the specific one they're going to send whatever the company if they offer that.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,084 Posts
This complete post is now locked down from further replies, time to move on from it all.

Patrick

Reactions: fourbore
61 - 77 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.