Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to post this on their website surprisingly I can not post a review using my login. So I'll post it here finally for all to see. I also emailed Stephanie Barry at RTI with a copy of this. This should be especially delicious for those who thought I may have been a shill for RTI. Smh.

I purchased one of these with a hand select fee of 50 dollars for overall condition. The item I received was in rough shape. I would consider it C grade. Although all the parts are there the rifle itself is not nearly as good as you would expect.

The rifling is about 75 percent except at the muzzle. When tested it "swallows" the bullet. The barrel bands are loose and floppy. The bands themselves can not be removed so the action can not be separated from the stock. The stock as stated is not cracked but in rough shape. If this is a "hand select" for overall condition the others are either really rough or no true attempt was made to "find" the best overall condition amongst the rest of them.

I have noticed that the quality of rifles sent has gone down since the first purchase at RTI. I have spent over a thousand dollars between Carcano cavalry rifles (7) and a vetterli and the very first one was in good shape with the rest being a downward slope in quality. The last purchase being the worst after paying an additional fee for a good one was the final insult added to financial injury.

Although customer service has been reachable this is still unacceptable. Certainly what I received was not nearly as good a condition as the ones featured on YouTube by Uli.

Just an overall rough condition rifle which was simply wiped down. This is an FFL item which means now this sample is mine to keep without hope for exchange or remedy. it is for this reason that this will be my final purchase from RTI. The request for a non TUBATA marked rifle was made however this is in poor shape for someone paying extra for a rifle in good overall condition. It would be plain to see if I could post pictures here. Disappointed this time and now the second strike for RTI. I had also payed extra for a pre 1918 date Carcano that had the incorrect bayonet locking mechanism. Once customer service was reached they requested that I send back the mechanism installed for the correct one. This was to be done at my expense even though it was not correct to the period dated pre 1918.

In summary no I would not purchase again nor would I recommend RTI as a source for these or other vintage rifles. I have tried to advocate for the company however I can no longer continue to do so in good conscious.

Giving my last experience with resolving an issue it is simply not worth my time to attempt to deal with customer service to attempt to make it right. Unfortunate as they do have a number of toys that I was interested in buying in the near future. Truly sad that this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel if I was a truly valued customer more effort would have been made in shipping a better quality rifle especially given the amount of business I threw at RTI. Also interesting is that when I rate this 2 stars my review cannot be posted. Wow.

·
Registered
232 Posts
None of that is surprising. Sorry you got a bum deal but I can not believe people keep buying from RTI. A quick Google will come up with alot of bad story's and reviews. So why people think their experience will be different is beyond me.
I bought a few grade c SKS rifles from them a few years ago cheap. And while I got them and they were a decent price for what I got, the lack of packing, and terrible customer service let me know I would never buy from them again, no matter what they had.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
i feel it’s important you need to let everyone know if you bought B grade rifles or standard grade.

also you do know paying that 50 dollar fee for a pre 1918 is just paying for a date on the barrel? If you wanted the best out of ten pre 1918 rifles you’d need to pay for both fees.
They’re selling them by barrel dates not upgrade status. They’re all various levels of refurb and upgrade. I don’t see why your disappointed over the push button

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If RTI could sell all of the bad reviews they have gotten, they'd be rich on that alone. I am a completely disinterested party - have never bought from RTI nor do I intend to. That said, when it comes to the Carcanos and Vetterlis (and who knows what else), everyone seems to know that RTI is basically importing a bunch of junk that probably has been abused in service and stored in less than ideal conditions. With that as a starting point, it is no wonder that what they have to sell is sub-standard. Add to that all of the stories that continue to surface about lousey customer service, and it's a wonder that anyone bothers to do business with them. It will be interesting to see future posts by buyers who have gotten stung yet again; there are always some gamblers and some optimists who are willing to taka a chance in the hopes that "this will be different"...

·
Administrator
3,255 Posts
I took the chance on the 45 acp spam cans, was a beauty. But I knew their rep and was expecting a rougher can than I wanted for display.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Just google RTI reviews and see how many negative posts are out there.....

I know Several people on these boards who for lack of a better term got hosed and spent more on rebuilding the rifle than the actual purchase price.....

To me there are MANY milsurps out there and I would rather deal with a known dealer like Kroh or buy in person at a show.....

Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have noticed that the quality of rifles sent has gone down since the first purchase at RTI.....

I have tried to advocate for the company however I can no longer continue to do so in good conscious....

I feel if I was a truly valued customer more effort would have been made in shipping a better quality rifle especially given the amount of business I threw at RTI. Also interesting is that when I rate this 2 stars my review cannot be posted. Wow.
What were you expecting?

Yes, RTI has some decent rifles, those get sent out first, so there is a decent review and more people throw money at RTI. Why would such tactic be suprising?

Why did you try to advocate for them? On what basis?

Why would you feel you are a valued customer?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
What you received is probably a fair example of what they have unfortunately. Whether they oversold the rifles is another issue but I doubt there is anything better to send you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What were you expecting?

Yes, RTI has some decent rifles, those get sent out first, so there is a decent review and more people throw money at RTI. Why would such tactic be suprising?

Why did you try to advocate for them? On what basis?

Why would you feel you are a valued customer?
Is that what happened? I'm glad you could get to the bottom of it.

In my years wisdom has taught me to not speak with such certainty. However I'm glad you have the inside scoop.

I was immediately contacted by Stephanie. She asked for pictures of the issue I responded with the statement that I post a video on YouTube. I will post the results of my recent interaction with them after it's completed with certainty.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I’ve talked to a vendor who had the opportunity prior to RTI to buy the Ethiopia lot. They spent two days looking through rifles and only liked the M1 carbines. The seller would only do an all or nothing sale. The vendor declined because it wasn’t worth their reputation of only selling quality firearms.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I understand why people buy from them -you get a shot at a cool rifle and can just buy it today, no waiting patiently to find just the right one.

But it’s undeniable that they’re grossly overpriced, especially with the numerous extra fees, for what you get. I have never bought anything from them and never plan to.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Despite all the warnings, I recently purchased two Vetterli rifles from them and got nice examples. I may have benefited from picking up in person (although I did pay for hand select, not realizing I could pick up until after I placed my order for shipping which was refunded.) I’m quitting while I’m ahead and won’t be going back to that well despite a few more things that interest me. There is some excitement to cleaning up a old rifle sitting in storage for several decades and finding a hidden gem but these are the exceptions, not the norm.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.