Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is exciting (to me anyway). When I researched (googled) the name tag under the buttplate on my 1944 K31, the search results included a matching name, in the same city (Basel), and with a business website URL. On the website was a list of staff members with their individual email addresses. I immediately sent off an email inquiring if this was indeed the rifle's original owner. Here is the gist of his response (name redacted for privacy). Is this cool or what?
I was very excited to receive your email. You have my father's Karabiner. He was born in 1912, died in 2002, and was a grenadier leader with that gun on the Swiss border in World War II, during more than 1500 days in the army. Swiss grenadiers are equivalent to the US Marines.
I wish you much pleasure with the karabiner (K31). If you have any questions about the Swiss Army, don't hesitate to ask me. It's a pleasure to answer them.

Colonel Xxxx Xxxxxxxxx
Commander
Justice and Security Department
Basel City and Canton

·
Registered
19,313 Posts
Send him some pictures of the excellent targets this weapon has shot.

Kind of sad, the weapon left his family but its great it found a good home with you .

The chances of Bubba owning it are too painful to think about.

I would safely say, you have the provenance on that rifle and appreciate it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Targets...

Send him some pictures of the excellent targets this weapon has shot.
Kind of sad, the weapon left his family but its great it found a good home with you.
The chances of Bubba owning it are too painful to think about.
I would safely say, you have the provenance on that rifle and appreciate it.
That's a great idea, milprileb. I'll do that today. And I will also inquire if he can provide any statistics on how often the rifle was shot annually for practice or qualification, and if he knows when it was 'mothballed' and how.

Update: I emailed him and asked those questions, and included this picture:

·
Gold Bullet member
8,516 Posts
That's a great idea, milprileb. I'll do that today. And I will also inquire if he can provide any statistics on how often the rifle was shot annually for practice or qualification, and if he knows when it was 'mothballed' and how.

Update: I emailed him and asked those questions, and included this picture:
That is one exquisite K31; you found a gem! The stock is in almost unused condition.

Knowing the number of rounds authorized for annual training certainly would be valuable information.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,580 Posts
Wow thats way cool!!! How do u research the tag info?? I recently got a k31 and would love to find somethin like that out.
Look on the 'how to read your tag' thread in www.swissrifles.com

It needs a bit of input from you, though, but we can help if you have difficulty with a hand-written tag.

Post it and let us see.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

·
Registered
25,223 Posts
Man, I wish mine would have a stock tag! I'd bet he was really excited to hear that his father's rifle was still intact and still bringing pleasure to a fellow shooter!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
i dont mean to hijack your thread here but mine has to tags under the buttplate. the first one has fus at the top, then Bieri Fritz. 34 fus. KP. ^/17 r. Forgerons 193. freiburg.
then the other has the same guy 1934 then magoiziuev. any ideas what these mean?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts