Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok.... Sorry for the delay in posting, But I do have her all cleaned up.

I wll post more pics later this
These are the Final result :p

I am happy :)

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I only had some small cracks/splits in the stock to epoxy back together, and I had to epoxy the wrist behind the back-action. It was an old crack, and cracked most the way through. It is nice and tight now! There were also about 5 worm holes I had to fill.
The only thing I have not done is pull the breach plug and clean out the bore. It looks OK, and is is soaking in Hoppes/ PB blaster to get the gunk Loosened up.

I did manage to save a lot of the original finish on the rifle. Unfortunately, it was soo dirty, that by the time I realized that is did have original finish on it. I had cleaned a lot of it off. It was an oil finish I think.

I refinished with a nice hand-rubbed coat of tung oil finish.

The hardest task was fitting the bayo to the rifle. I think it is an english barrell (no proofs though) and a nepali bayo.
It is Definately a beautiful addition to my collection.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for showing your Brunswick! It's nice to be able to work with old wood and metal and be able to bring them back. I wonder what we'll do with those plastic "black rifles" in 100 years?

Bruce

·
Silver Bullet member
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!
While I do like the complete restorations to making the rifle look brand-new, I really like a rifle that shows its age. I like the "well maintained, well used" look.

The Family Heirloom rifles we have have nice petina, and i wouldnt have them any other way. There are a few cracks that I still need to stabilize, but I wanted to get everything cleaned first.

One item that does not show too well is the fit of the patch-box cover to the rifle. It is a bit rough.
I have been thinking of sacrificing some old piano keys and making an ivory inlay.... One of these days :)

·
8,105 Posts
Thanks!
While I do like the complete restorations to making the rifle look brand-new, I really like a rifle that shows its age. I like the "well maintained, well used" look.

The Family Heirloom rifles we have have nice petina, and i wouldnt have them any other way. There are a few cracks that I still need to stabilize, but I wanted to get everything cleaned first.

One item that does not show too well is the fit of the patch-box cover to the rifle. It is a bit rough.
I'm sure you can get it straightened out, shouldn't be too difficult.

I have been thinking of sacrificing some old piano keys and making an ivory inlay.... One of these days :)
Had me worried for a minute, but I know that you are kidding, you've done too well so far. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts