Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I'm Back.

I was idle and inactive at this forum for a while, seems to be that my last post dates to august... I've been a bad boy but now I have to straighten up, just before christmas. Maybe santa will bring me something nice, like a Mosin.

I think I've been little bored to the mosins for the last few months and more active with my Saiga (semiauto ak103), Glock 17 and TT33. Until this week when my colleague told me that he has bought an arsenal repaired M39 in good condition. He asked me to join him to the local shooting range. And I went. I grabbed my "old faitful" M39, disassembled it and cleaned it from the top to the bottom.

Here is my M39 getting some good layers of beeswax to the stock next to the warm chimney at my summercabin earlier this week:

The range session it self was very satisfying too. Here are some groups:

I was shooting russian made Barnaul 7.62x54r fmjbt 174gr ammo. There are two variations available in finland at this moment. 174gr fmjbt and 185gr fmjbt. Both have been excellent but economic ammo for my Finnish mosins.

The most interesting thing concerning this ammo is that it's most propably the same ammo than the "brown Bear" brand sold there in the United states. Check the stamps...

and compare them to the ones mentioned at 7.62x54r.net:
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo022.htm

Sems to be that the Barnaul ammo plant is an old state factory which has changed some of it's production to the civilian markets. I have nothing to complaint because the performance of the ammo is outstanding especially if you check at the price. Ballistic data can be found here from the Barnaul ammo web pages: http://www.barnaulammunition.com/

Best regards,
Wee

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks acutus, but seriously, I could have done the prone shooting better...

I have to say that it was heavy fog at the range that day and my M39 is zeroed to 150m distance so the 6 o´clock aiming is needed at the 100m range. Although I'm quite pleased with the results from the kneeling position, which could be sometimes quite challenging. :cool:

Try out the Barnaul, It's great ammo. Non-corrosove and precise but still cheap ammo at least here in finland where the surplus ammo markets are restricted due of the needed CIP standards which most of the surplus ammo lacks. Barnaul is laquered steel case ammo but I haven't never had any sticky bolt problems with my M39.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,532 Posts
You are correct. The first box of 7.62x54r I bought was Barnaul ammo in the blue box. 203g SP. Loved it. Then, I couldn't find it. Started seeing Brown Bear and Silver Bear Barnaul. Found a few boxes of this Brown Bear and bought it. I believe it's all under the Wolf brand now.

Nice shooting wee!

View attachment 134846

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe it's all under the Wolf brand now.
View attachment 134846
It must be so like ypu said for the North American markets. Here we have both brands available. Wolf 148gr FMJ under the own name and Barnaul FMJBT 185gr + 174gr and 203gr SP with their own brand. My local vendor gets more Barnaul in January, I have stockpile that ammo then.

Wolf ammo has always been little disappointing to me. FMJ 7.62x39mm has left more to desire with accuracy and x54R with 148gr FMJ didn't give as good "performance" than the good old 148gr czech silvertip gave.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,623 Posts
203 grains... I'll bet that leaves a mark on your shoulder as well as the target.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been seeing a lot of the 'bear' varieties of ammo. Are these the same as Wolf? I haven't tried Wolf brand yet, but I have had several people tell me how dirty it is so I've been trying to avoid it. I have two boxes of Bear (185gr and 203gr) so I might be in for some cleaning.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I've been seeing a lot of the 'bear' varieties of ammo. Are these the same as Wolf? I haven't tried Wolf brand yet, but I have had several people tell me how dirty it is so I've been trying to avoid it. I have two boxes of Bear (185gr and 203gr) so I might be in for some cleaning.
I'm pretty sure that wolf and barnaul/bear are two different brands with different loads. Both made in russia but I think in different factories, but it's very likely that barnaul/bear ammunition is distributed and marketed by the Wolf ammunition in the North America like Rocker98 said earlier.

Even the appearance is different between two of these. It's also actually quite interesting that Barnaul gives you a lot of straight information about their factories and the location of their manufacturing plants. Wolfammo.com don't even tell you where in russia their ammo is made.

Your ammo, by the weights of the bullets, sound like a Barnaul made.

Ps. I think that Barnaul made ammo is not that dirty as the wolf made, but I suggest you to clean your gun after the shooting well. I have had very mild corrosion (nothing serious) problem with my AK with barnaul x39 ammo, but I don't want to get the same "cauliflowers" to my Mosins.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,532 Posts
This is what I used to get. http://www.barnaulammunition.com/ Good stuff!

Brown, Silver, and Gold Bear is Russian Manufacture at Barnaul http://www.dkgtrading.com/bearammo/ Same stuff? Should be.

This stuff is dirty. http://www.wolfammo.com/ And I just noticed that the box of Wolf shot shells I have say "Made in Spain by SAGA". But my Wolf Military Classic 9mm Makarov, 5.45x39, and 7.62x39 are made in Russia. :confused:

Just noticed you posted before me wee. I was thinking the very same thing. :)

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,097 Posts
I'm glad you posted the Barnaul website about the different ammunition types. I said quite a while back that the steel core in military ammo was for enhanced penetration, which at the time I mistakenly referred to as "light armor pierce", to which someone disagreed and said it was to save lead which made no sense to me at all.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I know the LVE plant makes some of it but I don't know which brands. For curiosity here are some pics of some green boxed LVE soft point hunting ammo. I bought this stuff years ago when Dunham's had it on clearance for $5.00 a box. IIRC it's 203gr. projectiles. It has a very strong lacquer smell like the Romanain 8mm. Head stamp has LVE, 7.62x54r, and a factory code of 66 which I'm not familiar with that code.

·
Premium Member
14,333 Posts
Good to see you back Wee, I was wondering where you've been just a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Welcome back wee.:D

I know the LVE plant makes some of it but I don't know which brands. For curiosity here are some pics of some green boxed LVE soft point hunting ammo. Head stamp has LVE, 7.62x54r, and a factory code of 66 which I'm not familiar with that code.
Here's some LVE that was sold under the Wolf brand, great ammo for the M39.
http://www.lveplant.ru/boevpat_eng.htm

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
pymi

Since yours has the code 00 it makes me wonder if this a year of manufacture. If so mine is not 66 but actually 99 for 1999 and the LVE Wolf you have pictured would be 2000. Just a guess. Have you had those boxes of ammo for long?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know the LVE plant makes some of it but I don't know which brands. For curiosity here are some pics of some green boxed LVE soft point hunting ammo.
Those pictures of your's are very interesting. Do know what is that cyrillic "rnc" code inside a diamond? is that a LVE factory logo or something, because I found the same logo from my Barnaul box:

Or could it be somekind of russian inspection mark or something like that?

Anyway, I haven't seen that copper washed wolf with heavier bullet here in Finland. Wolf FMJ with 148gr bullet sold here resembles their Polyformance series with polymer coated steel case.

Do you guys know the reason why some russian ammo is laquered and some are copper washed? I'm curious to know.

·
Premium Member
14,333 Posts
Corrosion resistance.

·
Registered
730 Posts
pymi

Since yours has the code 00 it makes me wonder if this a year of manufacture. If so mine is not 66 but actually 99 for 1999 and the LVE Wolf you have pictured would be 2000. Just a guess. Have you had those boxes of ammo for long?
I think the numbers are the year of production, I got this ammo about 2002 and the inside of the box flaps are printed W02-01.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.