Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,221 Posts
Hi RS & contrats on a nice gun! I can't speak to the very early - pre WWI - H&R or Iver Johnson genres in centerfire chamberings. But from pre WWII up to whenever for IJ and into early eighties for H&R, they reflected quite decent price competitive guns! They crafted fun as functional handguns in economic reach of many folks. I have some quite decent Colts and S&W handguns, but also a few of those more than 'also-ran' breed of handguns more price-point friendly. My observation as a genre, their greatest weakness as pesky, "triggers", often long, heavy & uneven pulls. I've never tried a SAO trigger on one, but sounds like maybe toward solving the DA pull problems. Any case, learn to live with whatever trigger (or more often not even realizing 'better out there') they were great guns of their price point niches.
Lesser known, H&R made some damn nice rifles incorporating such as FN mauser actions or final act, Zavasta equivalents. I have one such Zavasta in 7mm, with a fabulous - likley Bishop contracted factory stock. But getting afield here.
My viewpoint made!
Best!
John

· Registered
6,221 Posts
Commenting re a few Posts...
My first own handgun an H&R -as I recall Model 922, a cylinder pin removal gun w 4" barrel. Decent but never like the pin removal necessity to reload!

"G" man, a bit disheartening as my 1980 vintage 999, pix below, almost surely the same "flimsy" as your context unless 'a quik fix' by the factory which I doubt! A "pretty face", cheap price... as "Hey Sailor" & I was easy! :) :) :)

Just recalled I have a 10 Ga x 3.5" Mag single shot H&R with 36" barrel. "The Intimidator" - my name for her! "It's what's up front that counts!" :) Great home defense gun but for... Suck away in gun safe somewhere. Don't recall seeing shells for it whereabouts in the house in last decade. Imagining middle of night rushing from the bedroom, catching that barrel in my robe & poll vault down the stairs. Any intruders, 'disabled' by rolling on floor... in laughter! :)

Best!
:)

Attachments

· Registered
6,221 Posts
Congrats! I'd love to have one of those 'SAO' guns genre reflected here! Early Post WWII, S&W offered such SAO in their Target K Frame .22 & .38 chamberings! I have a few of the traditional DA of that era. The SAO's are rare and $$$$. None the less, I'd be about acquiring one of those IJ Models... But for... Age where asset disposition overshadowing asset acquisition!
Not that anything of such sort on my mind nowadays, of course! :(
Best!
John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts