Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
8,426 Posts
I always wanted one and bought one in their final days of production.
I liked top breaks. The 999 was the 35th one in the cabinet.
Same complaints. Horrible trigger and the flimsy rear sight. Broken and replaced but it was a piece of chintz in my opinion.
Years after letting it go it was suggested I might have been able to fit a Ruger rear sight blade with some tedious fitting. Anyone ever heard similar?

To this day whenever I see a 999 I still want one. Hasn’t happened yet.

· Registered
8,426 Posts
The left side of my barrel is marked H & R SPORTSMAN "single action only"
Curious. Are you emphasizing “single action only” or is it actually marked as such?

If your is 1930’s vintage then there is no comparison to the one I had circa 50 years younger. Still getting quality at a lower price point actually existed back when.
The later one I had was made when H&R proper was on a downhill skid to bankruptcy and shutdown.
Somewhere around the time certain popular H&R models were produced under the NEF label, and finally the resurrection as the H&R 1871 branding.
Under new management the quality improved a bit. However the “old 999” such as you have today never really arose from the ashes. Sad really, but the design itself didn’t lend itself to quality expected within its targeted market. So their focus leaned more towards the Handi-Rifle and not the top break revolver. Had they been able to mass market a similar revolver in 32 H&R Mag retailing less than the Ruger…??

I did buy a “Remington and Richardson” Handi in 45-70 though. About a year before their demise. Still have it with no plans to move it along. That’s a different story.

For now our focus should be on your 999. More pics along with answers to questions like:
How’s it shoot?
How’s it feel?
Ya like the trigger?
Where might I find one for $129 again?!

· Registered
8,426 Posts
My 1980 production 999 rear sight seems to be fine... but I have not dropped it, hit the sight, or otherwise abused it.

I've fired quite a few rounds from it.
Don’t need to drop or hit the rear sight. But experience taught me the sight is frail by design.
All it takes is trying to snug things into place with fingertip pressure. When it decides to go you’ll get a mushy feeling and then it’s too late.
It will never be right again. It will give up the ghost eventually.
In my case it was correcting a little windage for 100 yards. (We were bitten by the rimfire silhouette bug and were using all our handguns to see what they could do.)
So, No snugging. Stop at the very first sign of resistance.
Also, a heads up to remember you can’t simply click it a notch or two like others. Forget to undo the opposing side first and…
I think that’s what probably breaks more of them than anything else?
It’s a set it and forget it proposition. They could have added a little more “meat” but that likely would have cut about 50% off the range of adjustment?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts