Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after buying 4 91/30's and one m-44 this year, I certainly didn't expect to buy anything at Duhnams today. But, I found an x-sniper among the crowd. Not sure what they are worth, but snapped it up before the $79 sale for $109.

My first question relates to what type of sniper it was. I hear talk (i beleive) of PEM vs PU. What is the difference? Is that PH on the BBL? It looks like 3 letters, but can't tell.

Second, did I get a deal?

Third, I would like to restore it to a sniper with an original and correct scope.

Forth, my bolt is refurb, not bent. Is there a way to modify it when I put a scope on? I'd like the serial number to match. What have others done?

Finally, I have a rather plain refurb stock with minimal markings. Was thinking of striping and giving it that nice redish Tula stock look with a shellac finish.

Pics are below.

Thanks in advance. Whoever on here said mosins breed like rabbits was certainly right. Now only "need" an MO and laminante stock. Oh, and a fin....

·
Administrator
19,257 Posts
Well you got a good deal on it. Its a PU. To restore the rifle you are probably going to look at another 500.00 so you'll 650.00 in it basically. Frank Robertson one of our sponsors specializes in this work as does Jim R the Bolt Man and Black River Gunsmithing. So you have many options before you. To break down your costs you are looking at about 300.00 for an original scope and mount, 50.00 for a base, 50.00 for the bolt and maybe 200.00 or so for the restoration work. Check out these sponsors on their web pages or e-mail links found above in the sponsors links section. I'd leave the stock alone-its nice as it is.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the thoughts. Didn't think it wold cost that much. I thought I saw scoped orignals at shows for 350.

Would you sink $650 into one? I was figuring another $150 for the scope. Never thought about the bolt, but thats a good point. Would the "bolt guy" be able to replicte the serial number?

What is PU and what does that signify? Was it a unit / division, a different type of mount, etc?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate the knowledge everyone here shares.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nice looking rifle. If you choose to it seems you now have a project to keep you busy. The other snipers that you have seen for $350 are repro snipers not originals.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm

A project would be fun. Were any PU snipers in laminant stocks? Would be a really sweet looking peice to swap into laminant and restore everything else to original.

What would someone expect to pay for an original scoped PU at a show? I'm not in this for the money, but don't want to spend another $500 if I can buy one for $400. Then again, we'd gain back another peice of history to help combat bubba's efforts.

·
Administrator
19,257 Posts
Already built guns that you see are in all likely hood reproductions that sell generally retail in the 499.00 and down range.

Using a repro scope and mount and getting the bolt done I'd say your total cost could come down to 500.00 with mounting and stock work etc...

Its often a catch 22 if you want a sniper to shoot at the range as the repro rifles are on par with doing it yourself so its sort of a wash and you get it right away and can go off the range as opposed to many months waiting for the work to be done for you.

PU is the code designator for the scope type. It basically means "short scope" as it is shorter than the one it replaced the PE.

An original all matching Russian PU rifle with covers would be in the 800.00 to 1200.00 price range.

·
Administrator
19,257 Posts

·
Diamond Member
6,963 Posts
cbanker101, I have a '38 Tula PEM and like you ,I have been debating on restoring it or just leaving it as is. I will probably leave it as is and just get a second bolt from the boltman. The rifle shoots well and I think it would look cool with a bent bolt. Denny

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,035 Posts
I found an ex-sniper at my local Big 5, and also considered brining it back to original specs. However, as mentioned by others, the cost would exceed any value.

IMO, I would leave your rifle as it is: an original sniper rifle that had had the scope removed, and get one of the reproduction snipers to shoot with.

As an alternative, if funds are tight, you can get one of Darrell's Scout Scope Mounts, and put a modern scope on it. This would actually be a better set of optics than the original. Although not as authentic, the Darrell mount does no permanent damage to the rifle, and you can return it to regular M91/30 configuration. Darrells mount also lets you use the straight bolt that you got with the rifle.

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
If you go with the scout mount , you will probably be better off to use a long eye relief scope like a pistol scope on it. I hope your bore is good.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SN

Yes, its a 3 digit number on the bolt body, but not the bolt knob. The numbers are stamped, not electropencil. If he works with the existing bolt, that's awsome.

I cleaned all the parts today. The bore looks good and there was no rust or pitting on the bbl or reciever. Little pitting where they filled the holes.

I took the buttplate off to look for markings. Seems that there is a C looking stamp (similar to the C sniper stamp on the bbl), not in ink, but an impression. Did they do these on sniper stocks? I think this is a total refurb stock, has the box and no cartouches. Does the stock have to be modified when an original scope is used?

Finally, can anyone post pics of original PU scope markings? If I get one, I want to make sure I don't get duped into buying a repro.

Oh, my connector is has both the tula hammer and a B. What is the B?

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts