Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have wanted one of these for a very long time. Every time I would get the money saved up a sexy Finnish rifle would show up and I'd "have" to buy it . I have bid on many in the last year I finally bid enough on one and got it. What do yall think ? Is a Armory modified bolt on a non Sniper rifle seen very much ? For good or ill it's mine. I'll post more pictures when I get it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=79465563

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't allow this kind of vulgar talk in this forum. The only kind of vulgar talk we allow is to discuss sexy SWEDISH rifles :).

Dutchman
How about a sexy Finnish issued M 96 ? I know I'll be going after those next.

·
Premium Member
105,709 Posts
Its still was a sexy Swede first~

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Got Her

Here She is. I'm digging the Beech scales. Got it yesterday and cleaned her up last night. Rubbed in 1/3 Finn mix to the wood. She still had Swedish Cosmoline in abundance in and on; don't really know how the seller described the bore when it was full of Cosmoline. As it happens the bore turns out excellent. The stock SN does not match , the hand guard does as well as every bolt part including the firing pin. No other part matches. As Dutchman suspected there is proud metal at the magazine but the stock does not seem to me to have been sanded. Added the 1907 sling, I'll get a proper Swedish sling at some point.
http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k36/cajuncj/1908 Swedish M 96/

·
Registered
950 Posts
That front sight looks nice and tall.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought 200 rounds of Igman FMJ mainly for the brass. Thunderstorms are keeping home today and I won't be able to shoot until Friday at the earliest. I was wondering what the odds would be of this rifle hitting bulls with a 6 o'clock hold on a six inch circle at 100 yds. The front sight is +.5. My club does all of it's shooting at 100 yds.I understand all rifles are different , just wondering on average what to expect.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,978 Posts
Your bore condition will have a lot to do with accuracy . Differant brands of ammo will have differant results in the same rifle . You will just have to shoot the rifle & see what happens . Personally I have had bad luck with Igman ammo . Be sure to check your first shot for signs of pressure , flattened primers , as this has been reported as " hot ammo " . Dirty ammo with black soot around the case neck when fired . I fired 5 rounds out of 200 that I purchased & pulled all the bullets . It has been a while , but as I recall there was a problem with the primer pockets & I ended up trashing the entire lot . You are better off buying Lapua or Norma brass .

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shot today first shot eight inches right at one hundred yds. Tapped front sight around and got it zeroed. With a six o’clock hold on a six inch orange shaded area I’m in a 2" bull, rear sight all the way down. I ended up with the front sight so far right that it's flush with the left side of the base and hanging off the right side. Shot descent groups keeping most in the bulls eye. I shot with a short piece of 4x4 and two bean bags, no rear support; this is what our club allows in match so it is all I use anymore even when proving a new acquisition. Shooting at fifty yds off bench and rested on elbows (another of our club positions) I kept very tight groups in the bulls eye. 50 yd hold was dead on with sights lowered all the way down. Out of forty shots fired I had one case neck split, a first for me with new factory ammo. Well after forty shots it started raining so I quit for the day. I think she is a keeper and I'm sure it will shoot better with hand loads

1 - 9 of 9 Posts