1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,804 Posts
Very nice acquisition !

·
Registered
320 Posts
1940 Izzy, purchased with the bayo and sling off Gunbroker. Taking it out to the range for the first time today. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/LukeFF/100_0660.jpg

Congratulations on joiningthe SVT Club, Luke!

Here is some info that may make your time with it a bit more enjoyable ...

Something that Jim of Black River Gunsmithing (one of the Gunboards sponsors, btw) posted in Nov'03:
SVT wrench is $14.95 delivered .Check or MO to:
Black River Gunsmithing, Inc.
13566 Indian Hollow Road
Grafton, Ohio 44044
Or call 440-458-5396 M-F 10AM-6PM Eastern for card orders.(you may get the
machine).
Thanks! Jim
I now own several of his Repro wrenches ... they are excellent!

Top: Original
Bottom: Repro

Here is a trick that can save you a lot of hassle during (dis)assembly:

Here is a peek at what the muzzle extension, key and barrel look like when they are apart:

The muzzle extension is Right-threaded and the little piece at the very end of the muzzle extension is Left-threaded (and usually staked).

Enjoy!

Kim

·
Copper Bullet member
980 Posts
LukeFF, Very nice indeed! These are very unique rifles, IMO, and are a blast shoot. You know we must have a range report. Welcome to the club.
Michael

·
Registered
490 Posts
Congrats!!! Bayonet costs more than a RC K98...I'm almost afraid to know what you paid..

I love mine. Pain to clean, but fun to shoot!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LukeFF, Very nice indeed! These are very unique rifles, IMO, and are a blast shoot. You know we must have a range report. Welcome to the club.
Michael
I grouped alright with it on my first day at the range, partly because I had the gas regulator mis-adjusted (didn't have the Black River tool yet). I had to manually cycle the bolt after every shot - that is, until the bolt jammed shut after about the 20th round. I'd not read of Youngblood's advice on removing the bolt springs, so the rear spring retainer went off into the wild blue yonder when I was attempting to remove it. Got a replacement one in the mail this week, and I'm probably going to go out to the range again this Saturday to try it out.

Otherwise, it's a fun gun to shoot. It'll be even more fun when the bolt cycles like it should. :D

·
Copper Bullet member
980 Posts
LukeFF, Sorry you had probs at the range, but sounds like you're on top of it. The Black River tool is the shiznit, and so are Youngblood's tips! What ammo are you planning on shooting?
Michael

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
Assembly and disassembly instructions in photo's are available that the parent site- www.mosinnagant.net under the SVT section.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Good grab! 40' Izzy svt's are a tough find.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LukeFF, Sorry you had probs at the range, but sounds like you're on top of it. The Black River tool is the shiznit, and so are Youngblood's tips! What ammo are you planning on shooting?
Michael
1945-47 surplus Soviet ammo from AIM. Thinking about going out today and giving it another go.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Much better today at the range. I put 80 rounds through the weapon today, and with the gas regulator set to 1.3 I had only about half a dozen rounds where the shell casing failed to eject and only one where the bolt failed to lock to the rear (on my last shot, lol). It was really nice hearing and seeing the action click and slide back and forth without me having to do anything.

Groupings were pretty good and about what I'd expect from my first time out really putting the weapon through the paces. However, I need to adjust the front sight post, as all my shots drifted to the right. How can I move it back over to the left?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Front sight adjustment

If shots are too far right, move front sight to the RIGHT. Sight is interference fit...special tool is best, but brass or aluminum punch will work with rifle CAREFULLY clamped by sight base, in a vise...need some sort of spacers to avoid squeezing barrel itself....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts