Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for a no import marked non Finned NEW to go with my Remington in same condition. This auction win turned out better than I hoped. All parts appear to be original to the rifle. Early serial number only on the barrel. No other numbers anywhere else. Missing cleaning rod and it will be hard to find a NEW marked rod but will be hunting. One barrel band is unmarked and looks well worn so it must be a replacement. Barrel was very dirty but cleaned up to be nice with strong lanes with a little spotting in the groves. Not shinny but not dark either. If anyone has a spare NEW rod and upper band then please let me know. The stock has just a few markings so I dont know if its a NEW or Remington but the cross bolt is set nicely so I'm thinking its original. What do you think? This one looks like it was in someones closet for many years. Had a lot of dust and crud on it and light surface rust which cleaned up nice I think.

more pics to come

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,974 Posts
Very unusual to find an early production NEW that has what appears to be all original parts. This one should have been shipped to Russia, but the 1918 date makes me wonder if this was an American Expeditionary Forces firearm.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Very, very nice find. As martin said, these early curved logo rifles are near impossible to find in condition such as yours. I had one in similar condition, but it was Finn marked. Yours is not which makes it even more desirable. The stock cartouche says "English Contract" in Russian. Yes, the stock is original. You done well for sure on that one.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Been looking for a no import marked non Finned NEW to go with my Remington in same condition. This auction win turned out better than I hoped. All parts appear to be original to the rifle. Early serial number only on the barrel. No other numbers anywhere else. Missing cleaning rod and it will be hard to find a NEW marked rod but will be hunting. One barrel band is unmarked and looks well worn so it must be a replacement. Barrel was very dirty but cleaned up to be nice with strong lanes with a little spotting in the groves. Not shinny but not dark either. If anyone has a spare NEW rod and upper band then please let me know. The stock has just a few markings so I dont know if its a NEW or Remington but the cross bolt is set nicely so I'm thinking its original. What do you think? This one looks like it was in someones closet for many years. Had a lot of dust and crud on it and light surface rust which cleaned up nice I think.

more pics to come

Is it just me or does this m91 look shorter than the norm? Perhaps the angle of the photo. What's the overall length OP?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found this one on Auction arms but you will see more on Gunbroker. But I buy very few on the auction sites. I find more that I can afford that is at gunshows. Mostly by people walking in with them or on dealers tables that don't normally deal in these kind of guns. Then there is gunshops and pawn shops but its getting rare finding them at those these days. Also I will find an occasional deal on the local online gun list type sites. I'm suprised I got this one for the price I did. If it had been described like I have noting all the original parts I'm sure it would have been more.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
The stock cartouche says "English Contract" in Russian. Yes, the stock is original.
I don't see anywhere on the stock cartouche where it says "АНГЛlИСКlИ ЗАКАЗЪ" (English Contract). The NEW stocks are the only American contract stocks that exhibit this writing inside the circular stock cartouche. The cartouche is located on the right side of the butt of the stock. The circular stock cartouche in the OP's picture, appears to have a smaller circle inside of a larger circle. This leads me to believe it is not a NEW stock, but a Russian stock that has been transplanted on this rifle at some point. Below a very nice and crisp picture of what the NEW contract stock cartouce should look like. One of the better struck. The cartouche in the OP's pic is pretty faded, or lightly struck.

In comparison, a Remington stock cartouche.

But the rifle itself, is very amazing. Awesome NEW marked parts on it! A very desirable non-Finned example for sure, that is an excellent addition to the collection. Interesting possibilities with the letters and date carved in to the stock. Even more desirable it being one with a curved logo! Congrats on an amazing rifle. Very jelly!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could it be a Remington stock? Did Remington place the cross bolt neatly and centered as well? As this one has no other Russian parts it would make more sence to me that if the stock was replaced at some early point another American stock would have been more available.
Here is another thought, it could be a Meriden stock as the Meriden roundel was in the same area and lightly stamped so not often seen.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stock stamps http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm I don't think its a Russian stock. The wood is not like any other Russian stock I have. Its denser and feels heavier. Has to be American walnut. After looking at other known NEW stocks and known Remington stocks I think its a NEW. Remington's cross bolts aren't centered only the NEWs are. I would bet money its a Meriden made stock.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Oh well I was unaware that NEW used a double circular cartouche like that! So many cartouches! Indeed it may very well be then a NEW stock then! The cartouche has a very similar bearing to the Remington one! As you mentioned the centering of the recoil lug. I reviewed all of the pics I could find of Rem M91s I have and have had, and the recoil lug was not centered in the finger groove. You can see the <-M at the 12oclock position in your link, Column C Row 29. The Remington cartouche has a П at the 9oclock and К at the 3oclock position. Can't make anything out in the pic of the cartouche you took. Is the stock cracked too? Meriden is a NEW plant, or subcontractor then? Very interesting. The stock does look interesting though. Since it's not been to Finland, it wouldn't be an obviously Finn stock. Doesn't look like one either that could have possibly been put on the barreled action at some point I don't think. Any possibility of some different angled pics or lighting to see if anything more can be made out?

I have had 3 NEW rifles. Two were SA marked. This is a SCW example, and appears to be in a NEW stock. The recoil lug looks to be centered? I must not have taken any pics of a cartouche, none in my files.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,974 Posts
Most certainly a New England Westinghouse stock, and with an Eagle acceptance stamp near the trigger guard, further supporting that this one may have been included in the AEF. The VL 1918 just rings like Vladivostok to me. If so, it would be one of the few that did make it to Eastern Siberia, as most of them were from Remington.

Give Southridge a jingle, gurn. He studies these with a passion.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.