Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted one, used the "they're serial-numbered down to the screwheads" line, and never gotten anything but bolt mismatches. Admittedly, my first and favorite Mauser was a bolt-mismatch 1905 DWM, but now I have a proper matching rifle.

Got it at an auction downstate in Poughkeepsie. I didn't expect to get anything rifle-wise because of proxibid and downstate money, but the auction was (near) deserted, and there wasn't a ton of interest in 'em- a Winchester 73 went for good money, but most everything else went cheap.

So, when it came up, $275, and I took my chances despite the profuse bore-obscuring rust and clear stock refinish. In my experience, as long as profuse rust all looks equally fresh, chances are it's not all that damaging the way a series of light rust events would.

So after about ten passes with a stainless tornado brush puffing red dust out the muzzle, I'm shocked to find a decently bright bore, and even more thrilling, a chamber still in the original 8x57 rather than reamed out for blanks or 8mm-06. The firing pin was clipped, so I had to swap out a spare Turk I had, but still, not bad for the money, I think. It's still got a lot of brass-brush scrubbing yet to undergo, but at least now it's somewhat presentable.

It's not perfect, but collecting is a process of gradual improvement.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
I like it...a lot..are you going to slather some "Howard's Feed-N-Wax" on the lumber, it looks thirsty...

·
Silver Bullet member
1,421 Posts
Sweet Rifle!

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whatever this wax feed stuff is, I don't got any. I did just rub it down good with some Orange Glo With Almond Oil furniture polish, which usually has good results, and migod did it soak up a ton. Looks pretty respectable now.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Congratulations on a fine catch! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice looking original military Mauser 98, Vaarok.
I have been trying to get intouch with you concerning your nice heavily engraved Novotny Gew 88 Sporter. We have been rehashing the Gew 88 Sporter subject again over on the Gew 88 Forum. I have a Polish Gew 88 Sporter with scope mounts. Pictures on the site. Also other's pictures posted and info from a couple guys from Germany. Who posted nice pictures of scoped rifles, old German catalog pages. A bit of Novotny info. More-so Haenel rifles being found or researched.
Really Really Nice Mauser 98 Sporter you posted pictures of on this site I see, the one you purchased a while back. Great Find!!
TopGun-GunNut

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.