Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am by no means a lee-enfield person, strictly every shape and form of mauser. until last weekend the only enfield i had is my 1853 .577 that i use for civil war reenacting. I was at a swap meet in new hampshire and i saw this No.1 Mk. III* sitting on the table with a price of $200, seemed all there, bore is mint, some of what looks like aresenal repairs to the stock (see pictures) all matching numbers, though the bolt looks like it might be a replacement? saw the date of 1916, and figureing that the centennial of WW1 is only 4 years away and decided i had better grab it before WW1 stuff really starts going up. haggled with the guy for about 15 minutes trying to get him down on his price and only was able to get him down to $190. took it to the range yesterday with several different brands of .303 and it did alright, not nearly as well as my mausers but good enough, not really going to be a shooter, just a every once in a while gun. i can take more pictures tomorrow, there are just so many markings and proofs compared to my mausers i didnt know which ones were the important ones to photograph. did i do alright for $190?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Under two hundred bucks for that would be a good buy in Australia. It's clearly been rebuilt using an Indian forestock and other later parts, such as the later rearsight protector and a DP mag. As a shooter, I'd pay USD $190 for that. Cheers, Matt

·
Silver Bullet member
146 Posts
Very nice,, However is that a "DP" stamping on the magazine ?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is a DP stamping, and the original mag serial number is struck over and its re-stamped with the guns serial

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when you say indian fore stock, what exactly is the identifying feature? because this stock is numbered to the rest of the rifle. im not overly concerned with incorrect parts on it right now, i could always track down the correct ones later on. its a really good shooter, i switched from a 150gr bullet to 180 gr and the groupings closed right up, if i take my time i can get 3"-4" grouping at 100 yards, and i hit a 12" steel gong at 200 yards 10 out of 10 times. with the 150gr i was hitting the gong 2-3 out of 10.

·
Registered
901 Posts
The tie pin and plate at the rear of the forestock is an Indian feature, and wasn't seen on non-Indian SMLE forestocks, as I recall (although it was a regular feature of No4 forestocks. The dark red colour and the Ishapore screw (the bolt/screw running transverse through the forestock a couple of inches forward of the receiver are generally accepted to be Indian (although the bolt was rarely used elsewhere). If it was fitted with Indian timber as part of an FTR while in service with the Indian army, it would normally have details stamped into the LHS of the buttsocket, and the original manufacturer's details would usually be scrubbed. Never say never though... Still a good buy for mine. Are there any DP markings elsewhere on the rifle? If it is stamped into the receiver/nock's form it could indicate issues which would make me rather not fire it. Cheers, Matt

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the only other DP markings i can find are on the end cap/bayonet lug which has been renumbered to match the gun and on the rear sight, nothing on the receiver that i can see. what would cause a rifle to be pulled from service and converted over for DP? also some of the reading that i have done on the DP rifles seems to indicate that there would be a cut in the barrel just forward of the receiver. on the left side of the stock is stamped "MP" over "460"

are there any other key markings/proof marks i should be looking for? i will see if i can strip it down tomorrow and get pictures of what markings i can find.

the serial number on this is Z3286, is a letter prefix before the number standard for lee-enfields? i know it is on some mausers. sorry for all the questions, just trying to become a little more familiar with the rifle, been doing some reading but only end up with more questions. thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts