Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As long as I have been collecting (since 1977) I have never had a Krag rifle. Well I finally found one. It came with a group of other rifles. It's a 1898 and in great condition. The stock cartouch is still visible as well as some of the original case hardening color.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Jimmy - nice '98. Welcome to the Distinguised Brotherhood of Kraggies. Of course I am upset that you found it before me! ;-)) It looks like your rifle has a M1896 rear sight. That's cool too. Be sure to check and see if the cleaning rods are in the butt trap. Most aren't but it's a nice plus when you get them.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Krag,

Did you catch the title of Jimmy's post? "My FIRST Krag". Do you want to tell him about the addiction or shall I???:D

I set out to get a "sample" Krag (I normally collect M1903s). I got a M1892/96. Story closed, right? Wrong! A few months later, I found an 1898 rifle at a great price that needed some TLC. Well, I HAD to get a carbine, so I found a neat 1896. My collection just WASN'T complete without an 1896 rifle, so I got that. After further study, I really liked the M1902 rear sight (Very similar to a M1903 Rod Bayonet) so I NEEDED an 1898 rifle with a M1902.... :eek: (Sound of RtL running off, screaming, into the night!!!)

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Jim - there are 25 recognized variations of the US Krag, so far I have 14 so I have to find 11 more before I go to the Great Range in the Sky. IMHO they are the finest built, most interesting, sexiest military bolt guns ever to see the light of day. Oh I get palpitations just thinking about them.........sigh.

Oh yeah, I also have a Dane and Norski that I just "had" to buy when I saw them.

Did I tell you that I have a M1896 carbine with "T.R. - Santiago - 1898" carved in the buttstock? Only kidding, I just do that to keep Rick on his toes! ;-))

"So many Krags........so little money!"

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I don't really know why I never got a Krag before. I have bought just about every other type of rifle just no Krags.....this one was a deal at $500 so I'm sure that is one of the factors which contributed to me getting it.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Jim - I would say, not having it in hand to examine, that you got one hell of a deal at $500. Tell you what, I'll give you $550 for it sight unseen. Now how can you pass up a quick 10% profit like that? (grin)

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
"Sexiest bolt-action rifle"???? I"LL give you the world's most sexy bolt-action rifle!!

(P.S. Watch out for Krag - he doesn't just want the 25-26 variations of Krags - he wants ALL of them - all 484,000!!! :)

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Rick - what is that, a Swedish Mauser???

I'd be happy with a mere 400,000 Krags.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Rick - apparently my razor sharp wit and skill at sarcasm is wasted on you? ;-)))

Is that your pre-WWI Springfield? If so, any chance of getting some pics of it for my files?

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Sure -- email me and let me know what you want. In fact, I have two of the little darlings! Both from the ca. 1908 period. I'm currently on the lookout for a similar RIA for my stable, as well.

SA #230477

SA 78180

1 - 11 of 11 Posts