Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased it from a local guy who is moving overseas. I feel I paid too much for it 430.00
It's a mix of serial numbers and Waffenamt codes, But it shoots well, Now. it had a fouled bore. the owner
said he never shot it so I have to assume the barrel has not been cleaned in years.

When I got it home, I used a bore light and man was it cloudy and rough, it could not pullout
clean patches. See what I did to clean it

The Bayonet is an authentic Parade Bayonet that was owned by my Grandfathers Brother who was a U-boat Commander during the War.
I have had it since 1983 when my Grandfather passed away. Helmut Wieduwilt German submarine U-718 German submarine U-262

I also got an actual bayonet

So Here is my German K98 BCD 1942 "Gussloff" Russian Capture.

I know the Flag in the photo is a Navy (Kriegsmarine) Flag. Try buying a WWII Nazi flag and your labeled as a skin head
and put on the terrorist watch list..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I can't Thank you enough for the "Howards Feed N Wax" I have used it in all my stocks now and they look great,

Helmut was a Oberleutnant zur See (Naval First Lieutenant) on both U-718 and U-262 I never met him and my grandfather never
talked out him so I don't know much.

Check out this U-Boat Archive files

My Father was in the US Navy in the 50's and was aboard the USS Thornback (SS-418) a Tench-class submarine.
stationed in Key West, Florida.. Where he met my Mother who was from Havana Cuba.

UPDATE.
I found another sling, any thoughts on this one.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,485 Posts
Sharp looking RC!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
4 years have passed and I have shot the Mauser 10 times, and each time with modern PPU ammo the thing is a tack driver, with Milsurp ammo, not so much.

whats the difference with PPU ammo compared to the Egyptian or Yugo Milsurp.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
you asked what's the difference between the ammo. the milsurp is probably from 30 to 50 years old now, and the commercial stuff is probably five years old or less. the primers in the milsurp ammo deteriorate more and more with age, and powder also. this causes inconsistent ignition by the primers, and inconsistent powder burn as well. some of the worst stuff has ftf rates of 50% or more. so there is no benefit to hoarding and saving the old ammo; use it up, and get newer mfg stuff.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you asked what's the difference between the ammo. the milsurp is probably from 30 to 50 years old now, and the commercial stuff is probably five years old or less. the primers in the milsurp ammo deteriorate more and more with age, and powder also. this causes inconsistent ignition by the primers, and inconsistent powder burn as well. some of the worst stuff has ftf rates of 50% or more. so there is no benefit to hoarding and saving the old ammo; use it up, and get newer mfg stuff.
that is what I was thinking too. I have not been having any issues hang-fires but I wondered if the older powder burns slower.
Milsurp 8mm is getting hard to find so I have been ordering the PPU stuff online.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.