Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im usually over on the Russian Mosin Nagant Forums so if it is against the rules to post this link I apologize. Though since it is completed I assume ill be ok. Took a stab at this rifle. My first Japanese contribution to my collection consisting of most of the other ww2 countries. I would just like to see what you all think of how I did here. Did I over pay etc. Anything yall can tell me that the listing didn't I appreciate. I will also add more pics when I pic the rifle up tomorrow or by the end of the week. Thanks in advance.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=426509252

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
FYI, many folks here are not thrilled with the use of the slang term "jap" here. Many folks down here are of Japanese ancestry and feel the term is derogatory.

if you could please edit your thread title.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,088 Posts
Jinsen is one of the harder to find arsenal markings. Stock looks a little beat, but overall a pretty good deal.
Early configuration Jinsen rifles are very scarce.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,533 Posts
Interesting, well it looks like the OP got a great deal then.

What are your thoughts on the stock repair?
Looks like a standard Chinese repair. Or maybe the Bubba who brought the rifle back.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My apologies with the title. I cant figure out how to change the title though. I didn't mean jap in the derogatory I meant it in the shorthand of Japanese. Again my apologies if I offended anyone

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
My apologies with the title. I cant figure out how to change the title though. I didn't mean jap in the derogatory I meant it in the shorthand of Japanese. Again my apologies if I offended anyone
No worries, i feel the same way with the term (use of it as short hand) and had to watch myself when i first got into collecting after realizing how some folks felt about it.

IF you go advanced in edit you can change the title.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,665 Posts
Is that a nail in that thing? Jinsen is a nice harder to find maker, metal and markings look good and you cannot beat that price.

Looks like a little TLC and it will clean it right up (do not sand it!). Not sure what type of replacement stock you could use but it looks like that crack is no big deal to repair.

Seems odd to have a handle like "Kamakazi" when you collect Mosin's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im going to leave it as is no stock swaps no sanding that is sacrilege.

As for my handle ive always loved the Japanese samurai and Japanese military I just happened to get a mosin as my first milsurp and got hooked. Im hoping to get more Japanese rifles soon.

That and my handle has been kamakazi339 on everything for around...10 years now

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
The nail has the same cross hatch marked head as a later rifle used in the wooden butt plate. That would seem to me it was possibly installed @ the same general time period.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Hi CosmicCharlie24 :

Sometime in the 10 to 20,000 range production went to the "B" stock without the drain holes, some of these stocks had the Kokura or Jinsen proofs. Not enough early rifles have been reported or chartered to tell for sure when the markings changed.
Vicasoto

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,533 Posts
Thanks bill. Forgive my ignorance but was this a Chinese capture? How else would one find a Chinese repair on a Japanese issued rifle?
There is nothing to indicate that this rifle is a Chinese capture, but it could be. I have a Chinese capture Type 38 long rifle.

It's just that the repair looks similar to ones I have seen on Chinese rifles.

Regards,
Bill

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,356 Posts
Hi CosmicCharlie24 :

Sometime in the 10 to 20,000 range production went to the "B" stock without the drain holes, some of these stocks had the Kokura or Jinsen proofs. Not enough early rifles have been reported or chartered to tell for sure when the markings changed.
Vicasoto
Thanks again Victor - with the Ko and se and no unique Jinsen marks I guess there is nothing to differentiate it from a Kokura stock.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,655 Posts
That's correct. Kokura helped with the start up, including sending parts- no idea how many.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts