Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
Well, I'll be the one to bring a pin to the baloon party ;) It's a T-I rifle to begin with. Made in Italy for the Japanese (they had no mum)
Second, I've yet to see any confirmed "kill" marks on any Japanese rifle. Could have been done at any time. JMHO

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your answer you did not blow any ballon hehe. I asked for information and you answered. Can I find more information online about T-I rifles? Are they less desirable than the japanese ones? The old time collector just sold the rifle to me as a japanese rifle, I have been after this rifles for years.

P.S. the seller in the gunshow dug the rifle out of the woodwork, but buy the Item not the story. But I have to say these are the most believable kill marks I have seen.

Best Regards

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found this info online:

One of the most interesting Arisaka variations is the Type I long rifle that combines a M91 Carcano action with a M38 Arisaka type magazine, stock and barrel. At the beginning of World War II, production of M38 and M99 Arisakas was being completed absorbed by the Japanese army. The Imperial Japanese Navy needed a rifle so they turned to Japan's Italian allies.
The result was a Carcano/Arisaka hybrid designed by the Terni Arsenal and produced at Beretta and the governmental arsenals at Gardone and Brescia. Chambered in 6.5x50, approximately 60,000 Type Is were produced between 1938-39. They are not common on the American market, but when found, they are usually in very good condition

Would this text be describing the rifle I have?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
That's your rifle. Very desirable to some. I've never been able to decide if I need one for my collection or not :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your answer I appreciate it. Only 60.000 made I guess I hit the jackpot . The old time collector did not have a clue about this as he thought this was just a regular type 38 Arisaka. He is not into japanese guns but he picked this one up because it stood out because of the kill marks. I got it for a very good price in a part trade deal.

·
Kryptonite member
5,764 Posts
Like the mutt said except not as kind, BALONEY on the kill mark theory! I seriously doubt that the Japanese army issued copper screws to their men to hammer/screw into their rifles for every "kill" they made. I'd bet the mutt's best rifle that the "I" was in the hand's of some kid post-1945 who "Indianed up" the rifle.

But if you like Japanese rifles with copper screw "kill marks" I just happen to have (or will have if you are interested) one with 50 or more copper screws. But don't let my semi-nasty reply get to you, we learn by making assumptions and getting them authenticated or shot down and I've gone down in flames more than once. Like the old turtle, we move ahead by sticking our neck out. BTW, welcome to the Board.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
IIRC, there were closer to 120k Type I (eye) rifles produced. They are not scarce in the US.

Info on production from The Carcano by Richard Hobbs, indicates a minimum of 106k and a max of 160k rifles produced.

They usually bring a little more than a common T 38 rifle; but they are neither Japanese made, nor Italian used- so they don't fit into a lot of collections.

There have been several threads on these rifles here and on the Italian forum.

I have to agree with the others that there is no evidence of "kill" marking by the Japanese. A rifle 'captured' in Sasebo would likely not have seen any action to garner any kills, JMHO.

You state pretty much unequivocally that these screws are kill indicators, how do you know?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Like the mutt said except not as kind, BALONEY on the kill mark theory! I seriously doubt that the Japanese army issued copper screws to their men to hammer/screw into their rifles for every "kill" they made. I'd bet the mutt's best rifle that the "I" was in the hand's of some kid post-1945 who "Indianed up" the rifle.

But if you like Japanese rifles with copper screw "kill marks" I just happen to have (or will have if you are interested) one with 50 or more copper screws. But don't let my semi-nasty reply get to you, we learn by making assumptions and getting them authenticated or shot down and I've gone down in flames more than once. Like the old turtle, we move ahead by sticking our neck out. BTW, welcome to the Board.
The brass screws are handmade most likely from artillery shells. So there goes your theory for some kid indianing the rifle postwar and your comment about the issue screws but I doubt the japanese soldier put brass screw into the rifle every time he cleaned the rifle. Of course this could have been done postwar by some GI I am not saying that but I am happy with the rifle and that is all that matters.

Best Regards

·
Gold Bullet member
4,345 Posts
A soldier in combat melting down artillery cases and casting screws in his special screw mold? My best guess is that those "kill screws" came from a bucket of crudely made screws in a Sasebo machine shop. There was no "Battle of Sasebo", and Japanese Naval forces that deployed anywhere late in the war did not return to Sasebo (or anywhere else) with their small arms. As mentioned by other posters, the Japanese did not deface their weapons or equipment; it would have resulted in a swift and painful beating by their NCOs. They might signify deer in upstate new york (doubtful) or more likely a fanciful souvenir hunter's decoration when he was sitting around waiting to ship home. I vote a young troop who missed the fight dressing up his souvenir to add to stories he told when he got home. The authors of most every book on Japanese rifles out there are members of this board and read these posts. If there was a chance in a thousand that these were some legitimate thing, you can bet they would have seen it before. That's not counting the tens of thousands of rifles handled and owned by other board members reading this. It's a nice rifle and you got a GREAT buy, but the screws are the equivalent of graffiti / trench art.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,941 Posts
I'm having a "Nambu hogs" flashback. Could those be the mounting screws for the infamous hog catching/camo/ ummmmm ping pong net?
As the one who placed the label "ping pong" on the net, I concur. The problem with accepting the authenticity of the ping pong net was the question of how was it attached to the rifle. Now we know. Surely the large number of screws insured that the net did not catch on something and interfere with the Z cut.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
As the one who placed the label "ping pong" on the net, I concur. The problem with accepting the authenticity of the ping pong net was the question of how was it attached to the rifle. Now we know. Surely the large number of screws insured that the net did not catch on something and interfere with the Z cut.
Every time I see your "handle" I'm reminded of my 1914 Erfurt Luger. When a round is chambered, the extractor is raised exposing the word on the side "geladen" (loaded). Pretty neat feature.
Nice to know you have a round in the "pipe".

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok Girls stay on topic. Do you experts know if all of the T-I rifles were a navy contract? I guess that it would make sense that the rifle was found in Sasebo since it was a base of the Imperial Japanese navy

Does anyone else have T-I rifles that they could post. I did not find much info online.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,941 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive.

And for arisakadogs, my handle on Gunbroker is nichtgeladen.

Added: Yes the sling is Swedish and the frog is repro. If you won't talk bad about them I won't have to defend the proper allocation of funds to weapons instead of accessories.
;)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.