Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought it in 75 from an ole copper buddy for $50. So I could go deer hunting see. IT wasn't much to look at being a 4 Mk 1 maybe. It had been slightly sporterized or what I now learn is referred to as "Bubbaed" in that the forearm stock assembly had all been removed except for the lower forearm. Really that was it but dang could that ole girl shoot . Talk about a grouping at 100 yds and its ability to drop an Oklahoma deer was great. Never did really do much with that ole gun except shoot it, remember to clean it occasionally and basically through the years I just forgot about her.

Next came two matching #5's one left original and one re blued. I started using them for deer hunting cause they were shorter and weighed less, but basically I thought they were "cooler Looking" than the old #4.
Well, family raising, career, police work in general got in the way of the long rifles and I gravitated to hand guns for all my shooting pleasures.
Until recently.
Rooting around in the closet and noticed the ole #4 in her rifle case. Blew off the dust and took her out of the bag. Now of course just holding that ole girl brought back memories of long forgotten deer hunts and buddies I havent seen in years. heck, I haven't been deer hunting since probably 97.
Well, I decided to pull out the two #5s and check their condition. At least I had stored them all properly. No rust and all still looking dang good.
So I decided I would go to the gun store and pickup some fresh ammo and "blow the webs" outa the barrels.

Well while at the gun store I spot this #1 mkIII complete and with bayo.
I hefted it looked it over a bit and put er back.
Came back home and started to do some research on the enfield. Thats how I found this site and others. It all sparked my intrest to the point I went back and got that ole #1MkIII with matching numbers except the mag, 1942 Lithgow. haven't shot her yet, just really looking her over still and kickin the tires if you will.

But.......... back to my original ole #4 that had been sporterized, I got to thinking about restoring her back as from reading all the post it certainly seems possible and finding a pic of a #4 is certainly easy enough. Yep that would be a breeze right........wrong. For some strange reason when they sporterized her the front sight was moved forwarded to the inside edge of the bayo lugs and the barrel was cut just in front of the bayo lugs effectively ruining the actual barrel length. Though gawd that ole girls could shoot straight.

I think may haps I will go ahead with putting the new furniture back on her and just ignore the shortened barrel cause really what could be gained from the expense of replacing a barrel? I'm not sure and just musing some.

Im glad I have found this forum and certainly didnt realize there could be such a fan club to these old weapons.

Thanks for letting me on board.;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Regarding Your No.4...

Coburnbrigade - It's not hard to put them back... I had my savage done...

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=2789

I would have done the work myself but, there was serious metal rebuilding to be done.

As far as the barrel goes,-

If they cut just behind the bayonet lugs, you can still put all the wood and parts back, you'll just has a shorter barrel protrusion.

If the barrel is cut so far back that the sight assembly won't work, eh, replace the barrel.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sounds like you're falling prey to the early stages of the addiction. I was content with two old Ishapore and Lithgow SMLEs for quite a few years...

Then I discovered the internet gun forums. That really made me a goner ! After finding out about all the neat variations out there to be had and looking at other guy's toys, I simply had to have MORE. Good luck, it's a sickness.

Post some pictures when you can. We all like pics here.

Stay safe out there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts