Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already a couple of Mosins and other surplus weapons, bought with sport shooting licenses to be used in traditional military rifle & pistol competitions. But this is my first Mosin acquired as a certified collector. It's an unissued 1942 VKT m/91, bought directly from an Army depot for 100 euros. I had the opportunity to select from several rifles with the help of an armorer, but not enough time to inspect more than a few in detail. There were two 1915 NEWs that were quite rough outside with dark and worn bores; still I'll bet many of you more experienced collectors would have preferred them. But I chose this nearly immaculate "youngster". As our German friend Chris boiled it down, it's like a time capsule, from the VKT plant right into my gun vault.

·
Administrator
8,480 Posts
B-Barrels are much perferred in the US due to there relatively low production numbers and there generaly great bore conditions since they where mfg post war and have had sparingly little use.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Is it just me? I don't see a B. I see what looks like a D just below the VKT arsenal mark with some white chalk or crayon bisecting it making it look like a B? OP, more pics?

A nice rifle regardless of what it is. Great price. Wish I could get some straight from the arsenal to the vault too lol!

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
. . . There were two 1915 NEWs that were quite rough outside with dark and worn bores; still I'll bet many of you more experienced collectors would have preferred them. But I chose this nearly immaculate "youngster". As our German friend Chris boiled it down, it's like a time capsule, from the VKT plant right into my gun vault.
I think you chose well, especially since you mentioned shooting competitions. Nothing wrong with history-laden collector guns, but I'll take a slightly less "experienced" example with a nice bore every time. :)

Is it just me? I don't see a B. I see what looks like a D just below the VKT arsenal mark with some white chalk or crayon bisecting it making it look like a B? OP, more pics?

A nice rifle regardless of what it is. Great price. Wish I could get some straight from the arsenal to the vault too lol!
Yep, looks like a "D" from here too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yep, looks like a "D" from here too.
Yes, it's a "D". No "B" anywhere. The markings are very shallow, and I'm not that experienced with the crayon trick. I also named the pic file somewhat misleadingly.

The bore is excellent, the armorer graded it as "0", i.e. the best.

The Army sells only to certified Finnish collectors, except at the moment they do not make any new sales contracts. Some legal stuff that hopefully gets sorted out. If not, I'll kick myself to the butt forever about not buying the other rifles on sale (m/28-30 and m/39) when having the opportunity. I got two pistols, though: an FN HP and a Beretta m/35 :)

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
When and from what depot did you get that one?

The bore is excellent, the armorer graded is as "0", i.e. the best.
That is indeed unissued since build. I am sure you are aware of the level system, 0 is unissued and 1 is the best grade when issued. Even if the rifle was never shot at all. Very nice one and should be a great shooter!

The Army sells only to certified Finnish collectors, except at the moment they do not make any new sales contracts. Some legal stuff that hopefully gets sorted out.
I am sure they will sort that out.

But I don't think we will see any SVDs or TAK-85s sold, even when they will get it sorted out. And pretty much all WII era weaponry has run out from the depots for good. So nothing much to buy anymore.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I have three about like that, and they ran about five times that much money here in the US. Great rifles! I don't shoot the unissued since built ones. But sometimes I do get tempted.

Congratulations!!!

Doby

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When and from what depot did you get that one?
From Parola. I received and signed the papers in late January, just before the sales and deliveries were halted, which I was informed not until I contacted the armorer to pick the guns. So it was a nice catch-22: we had a signed contract, I had paid the guns, but they could not deliver. It took them two and a half months to dig a bureaucratic loophole. I finally visited the depot last Wednesday. Quite a pleasant way to spend the May Day eve!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts