Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weekends ago I traded a pistol for an Arisaka type 99. Just thought I would post up a couple pictures on here and ask some questions. Where can I find a bayonet or a sling for the rifle? Is there anything that I should put on the stock to preserve it? The rifle is numbers matching Toyo Kogyo 32nd Series. Is there a way to find out when it was made? Thank you in advance for the help.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
Tell the dog the rifle was made in the third or fourth quarter of 1943 (you can guestimate by the serial number. Each series was 100,000 rifles)
Nice lawn and yard too. :>)

Dean (the other one)

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,356 Posts
Good looking TK 32. Does the dust cover match and is the rear band drilled to accept the monopod? Type 30 bayonets are an easy find. Check the sponsor site here, Simpson has plenty or the auction sites. Repo slings are also plentiful but originals are scares and expensive. Again check the auction sites. As for the wood I'd leave it alone. It looks to be in good shape. It survived 70+ years as is so if you store it properly it should hold up just fine. Nice maple trees too.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,356 Posts
The 32nd was a transitational series and the monopod was phased out some time during production. If my memory is correct it was about half way through. The serial number would be the obvisous place to start. An earlier number would have been made with one. After say 50-60k then I don't believe it would have had one.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
The "Big Boys" can tell you more than I, but I have noticed an imprint of the monopod "foot" in the wood, right behind the front band on rifles that used to have a monopod, but was missing now.

Dean (the other one)

·
Gold Bullet member
1,341 Posts
There is a dent, crosswise to the stock, about 1/2" below the rod release. There is a small diagonal dent on either side below the rear of the front band screws.

Dean (the other one)

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,356 Posts
Here are some pics of my late 100% matching/complete/mumed 31st. As you can see the pod marks on my example are pretty pronounced. If you attempt track down a pod keep in mind that they are not all the same. Kokura used 2 different styles. Kokura and Nagoyas were proofed and I assume the TK was as well but I haven't taken my apart to check.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts