Gunboards Forums banner

My first 99...

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Poonie 
#1 ·
Maybe not the prettiest, but its a start, and didn't break the bank. As I've said in other posts, I'm trying to collect representative examples of widely used WW2 intantry long guns. Starting small (read: cheaper) and will hopefully upgrade as I climb the learning curve so I can feel a little more confident in my purchases.

I gather its from Nagoya.
  1. Anyone have a link to a guide to series symbols?
  2. Any thoughts on what I should put on the metal so as not to alter the "original" quality of it but to retard rust?
Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
Exactly the same with the 5th series Nagoya I just bought. Yours is in alot better condition than mine. Mine is an earlier serial number, but is missing the a/a wings, and the mum is ground off.

As to the rust, try a little break free and go over lightly with 0000 steel wool. The break free lifts the rust off and the steel wool brings a light shine back to the metal. Just don't go heavy with the steel wool or you could damage the bluing. Its amazing how a few minutes with a can of break free, a little steel wool, and a rag brings back the metal.

#6 ·
RIG is "rust inhibitive grease", available from gun shops and Brownells; my advice if you want to handle your rifle, just use gun oil. Grease is messy.

Detroit,
sounds like you are now on the slippery slope to owing waaay more Arisakas! It is a disease, you can't have just one, and three is just the beginning. Don't ask me how I know.;)

Attachments

#8 ·
I believe they may be like clothes hangers; they procreate at night.

Or they may sneak in one at a time, when you aren't looking.:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.